15 - Reputation

Mia turned on her heels and left. Ted stood looking at his empty doorway and thought he had never met anyone like her before. Everyone wanted his money, but he believed her when she said she didn't. The truth was, he felt guilty for his entire class for the things the jerk said about her. He maintained his cool but felt angry as he confronted him. Paying for her car was his way to make it right, but it only made things worse. It didn't get past him she called him Edward twice.

It was obvious she was angry, but her voice remained low, so his little champ didn't even notice they had a disagreement. Ted put a lot of effort into sheltering his son from his and Elaine's arguments. Elaine thought nothing of yelling at him in front of their son.

He looked up from his game on the iPad. "Where Miz-Ily go?"

"She went home, Champ."

The boy pouted and Ted felt pouty, too. He didn't mean to upset her. The woman was different from any he had met before. He knew other independent women. Sage wasn't since she had Aidan and Bill helped keep her in the lifestyle she was used to. Sloane's job required her to be independent, as she traveled all week for her consultant job. However she didn't have her own apartment or bills, and her expense account paid for her travel and meals during the week. As he thought of Sloane, he considered inviting her over for some company, but she hated children.

On Sunday afternoon when Ted arrived at his parent's estate, his mother grabbed her grandson and disappeared. He found his father reading the Sunday Globe sports page.

"Hello Dad."

He looked up from his paper. "Son. I assume your mother has stolen Little Ed."

His father didn't like to call his son, Edward. Ted nodded. There was a silence which was not unusual.

"People will talk about you defending the girl."

"They already are. Sage heard about it."

The older man nodded. "Bea was there, so it doesn't surprise me. But speaking up has made you the subject of gossip."

"Someone had to. Walter Leonard is a leach. Frankly, Montgomery should have spoken up since it was his home and she works for his wife. Bea referred to her as part of the family, but Bill stayed silent. Was it innocent talk? Hell no, he has a reputation. What if it were your daughter? You read the newspaper, you know women deserve to be treated better. The men who sit by idle are guilty too."

"So now you're a defender of the environment and women?"

"I just don't want to disregard others,
because my wealth allows me to."

"I wouldn't want you to be like half the men in the room the other night. You know it will get back to your wife."

"Almost ex wife and it already has. She cornered me yesterday. It's none of her business what I say."

"What's your involvement with the girl?"

"She's Sage's sister-in-law. You know, my friendship with Sage."

Looking around Ted, Edward senior smiled. "There he is."

Grace Calhoun said, "Don't listen to your father. I'm proud of what you did. I enjoyed talking to the girl. She's beautiful and intelligent."

Ted wanted to agree, but refrained.

"I've been hearing about some cookies. Is this a new housekeeper?"

"No, it's the tenant who bakes cookies. Champ here is quite a fan."

"Is she foreign? She has an odd name."