Six

In and out. In and out.

A constant struggle to stay awake.

Fog drifted in and out of my brain. I didn't even remember the brunt of what happened.

I had seen them. The three of them.

But they were across the river.

"It's not your time." Jessica had said, wearing the outfit she wore for graduation. They were all wearing the graduation clothing. "Don't you dare cross that bridge, or so help me, I will kick your spirit ass down to your body and haunt your ass until it IS your time!" I stood, frozen, looking at them.

"Live, Shawn." Blake looked at me sadly.

"Live for us." Derrick... He looked pissed. "You don't get to die."

*

Suddenly, I was back in my body. Everything hurt. Even blinking hurt.

"Come on, Princess, wake up!" I could barely open my eyes. "Oh, thank God." I looked around, the florescent lights hurting my eyes.

"Where... Where am I?"

"You're in Germany... You've been out for three days." I felt a straw be placed at my lips, and gratefully, I drank. It was sweet, but none the less, it eased my throat.

"Thanks.." I closed my eyes again, thankful for the soft bed.

"Sindel, do you remember anything?" The fog had cleared from the medication, but I was just tired.

"I do..." I swallowed, wincing from the pain in my throat. "My leg is gone, isn't it?" Opening my eyes again, he looked grim. He pulled the blanket up, revealing one uninjured right leg, and one wrapped from the knee, the calf missing. "Ouch."

"The others made it to the camp and back to base... Minor injuries, but they're okay. They've been calling every day to make sure you were still alive." I gave a half-hearted smile, which fell because my face hurt. "Um.. I called your parents." My heart fell. "They'll be at the base to pick you up once you've been cleared here for your prosthetic."

"They're not going to let me continue, are they?" He shook his head.

"Your injuries were too extensive. The seatbelt slammed you so hard you lost your spleen and broke three ribs... Plus it is months of physical therapy and learning to walk all over again." Tears came to my eyes.

"But you saved me." I wiped my tears away. "Now I feel bad for calling you Sergeant Jackass." He chuckled, rubbing my good leg.

"It's my job to save people... But thanks." I chewed on my lip. "I have your discharge papers I'm supposed to take back to Captain Grainger as soon as they're signed... But he's on his way here. He had to go stop at a few bases on the way."

"Do I have to sign them now?" 

"No. You don't." I sighed, looking at the ceiling. "But when Grainger comes... Yes." I would be alone after that.

I didn't want to be alone.

The reality had finally hit me. I lost my friends and distanced myself so much... Now I didn't want to be alone after nearly losing my life.

"You have to go back, too, don't you?" It was quiet. It meant yes. "I don't want to be alone..."

"I know. But I still have a year on my contract... I can't part unless I have something happen." A knock on the door and a crack.

"Doctor Dorian? The Captain is here." That's when the panic kicked in.

"Tell him I'm taking care of it. Don't let him in."