Prologue

I was three years old when my parents got married. I remember seeing the love in their eyes, the happiness they deserved.

I wished that would be me... One day.

People said I was raised so strictly. Both my parents were Spec-Ops and raised me in a military fashion... But I was never abused. Sure, I had some very good reasons to have a belt taken to my ass the few times it happened. Lying about my grades and disrespecting Nana Agnes was really why it happened. The last time was accidentally not paying attention at the range, and my brother as well, not adhering to range rules, and I may or may not have shot him in the ass.

I never made that mistake again. I was strictly reprimanded for that. I was also fifteen and he was thirteen. I had been trained to use guns since I was eight. I never had to use one and I knew they did. My mother was the only female Raider there has been. Many tried and failed. But it was never something publically announced when they were deployed. She didn't like talking about it, either.

When questioned on why I had a boy's name, she looked so ready to cry.

I was named in honor of her late fiancé. At first, I didn't know what to think of it. Now... I see how much it helped her to do so.

I had a lot of respect for her. She gave up so much for me, and I didn't realize it until I was sixteen. I hadn't seen her break down. I hadn't heard about all the hardships she and my father went through until my father told me what she couldn't talk about.

I was never a little shit to her ever again.

Instead, I had talked to a recruiter when I was in JROTC, my last year of high school. I never planned on joining. But they spoke so highly of both my parents.

But it was the day after graduation, I lost a part of me... It made me enlist. It made me follow in their footsteps.

I left home eight months after the night... And I didn't look back.