Trust.

Dedicated to Charlie because she's amazing and I love her, thank you for everything Byfield(; <3

Ashley's P.O.V

After a week out of hospital, you would have thought Alex would have stopped worrying. However he was still a wreck, I was constantly at his side and he did everything for me. This was very sweet, but I was perfectly capable. 

"Be right back, just getting a drink" I smiled, untangling myself from Alex's embrace.

"No no I'll go" He smiled, pushing me back down. I sighed and opened my mouth but was quickly cut off with Alex's kiss. 

"Hush" he smiled before wandering off to the kitchen. 

We were staying at Alex's at the moment, due to me not being strong enough to travel back home to New York. Taylor had gone home to his girlfriend which left me and Matt staying with Alex. 

"My lady" Alex smiled, placing a latte on the coffee table. I blushed and muttered a thank you, he raised an eyebrow and resumed his previous position. Matt strolled in and took a seat on the opposite sofa, watching us carefully. 

"Are you dating?" He asked suddenly. My eyes widened as I glanced at Alex, he didn't even flinch.

"That depends" Alex smiled, turning to face me, "Will you be my girlfriend?"

Matt burst into laughter suddenly, causing Alex to break the intense stare he was giving me.

"Romantic Lex" He winked before strolling out again. I groaned and buried my head in a pillow, Alex pulled my hair to one side and led next to me, placing his lips next to my exposed ear. 

"I mean it Ashley" he whispered.  My breath caught in my throat and I lost the ability to speak, after a moment or so Alex sighed and walked out the room. I rolled on my back and groaned, why? Why didn't I speak. The next thing I heard was the front door slam, I glanced to the window to see Alex angrily walking to his car and driving off. 

"What happened girl?" Matt said softly, appearing at the doorway. 

"I'm stupid, that's what happened" I sighed, he chuckled and pulled me into his lap. 

"He asked you to be his girlfriend didn't he?" He sighed, I nodded. He scraped my hair back off my face and secured it in a ponytail. 

"You know why I can't" I whispered, he dropped the ponytail and took my face in his hands.

"Ashley - you need to forget about him, we're not going to let him hurt you, or contact you for that matter, please Ash, do something that makes you happy" 

I didn't reply, just kissed Matt's cheek and hopped off his lap. He grabbed my wrist and pulled me back; looking me dead in the eye. 

"I promise you Ashley - you're safe" He smiled, I nodded weakly and walked out to Alex's room. I flopped on his bed and curled up in the sheets, taking in his scent. Although I refused to believe me and Josh were still together, it still scared me what he would do if he found I was with Alex. I closed my eyes and grabbed my ipod from the side, slipping both headphones in and drifting off into a restless sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alex's P.O.V

It was around 10:00pm when I arrived home, I had calmed down about the whole 'she didn't reply' thing and realised it wasn't exactly the best timing and I've probably scared her. My bedroom light was off and the living room was dimmed. I stepped inside and closed the door, kicking my shoes off I trudged to the living room to find Matt watching the Raven's game from the day before. He smiled and mumbled a 'hey'.

"I'm gonna head up to bed, night mate" I said, supressing a yawn. He nodded as I stood up and walked cautiously to my room. 

"Ash?" I whispered into the guest room, after realising it was empty I strolled to my room to find a lump of blankets in the middle of my bed. I chuckled and moved them from her head, allowing her to breathe. A loud exhale filled the room and I laughed once more, stripped my self of my jeans and climbing in next to her sleeping figure. 

"Night Ashley" I whispered, wrapping my arms around her tangled figure. 

*Next Morning - Still Alex's P.O.V*

I opened my eyes in the hope of seeing Ashley laying next to me, I had felt movement a while ago but was too tired to move. I looked around but she wasn't there, I groaned and pushed myself up, running a hand through my tangled hair. I glanced at my reflexion and groaned at the sight. A small giggle brought me back from my thoughts and I snapped my head towards the door.

"Checking yourself out eh?" Ashley smiled, hot coffee in hand, still dressed in PJ's.

"Why wouldn't I? Damn" I winked at my reflexion. Ashley laughed and placed the coffee in my hands. I shook my head and placed it on the side, then grabbed her waist and pulled her into my lap. I led down with her still on top of me, then pulled the cover over us. Ashley laughed and cuddled into me. I kissed her head and moved so she was comfy. It was silent for a moment until curiosity got the better of me. 

"Why didn't you answer?" I blurted out, mentally cursing myself the second the words left my mouth.

"I'm scared" She mumbled. I didn't respond for a moment, just rubbed small circles into her lower back.

"You're worried he'll find you?" I finally questioned, she nodded. 

"We're still technically dating and I'm not a slut - I don't want to cheat, well, I guess that's too late. But giving it a title just seems worse" 

"Ashley - he's hit you, he's made you cry, he's made your life hell and terrified you for years, he doesn't deserve the title of calling you his." I spoke softly, knowing how sensitive this was for her. 

"I just...it's hard Alex" She said, her voice breaking. "After years of being scared of someone, it's hard just to forget and trust, words are just words to me now. I trusted his words and he changed, sometimes I just don't know what to believe anymore"

A stray tear gently fell down her cheek and onto my shirt, she took a deep breath and closed her eyes. 

"Do you trust me Ashley?" I asked suddenly. Her eyes flicked to mine and she nodded slowly. 

"Then you'll trust me when I say I'll protect you, Ashley I know you've had people saying this all your life, but you need to believe me when I say this." I paused and took a deep breath.

"Ashley I love you, I've loved you for a long time, and you have no idea how much it kills me to know you're scared and upset, I want for you to be happy, truly happy, not just a smile, a smile that reaches your eyes, not just a giggle, but a laugh, not just a kiss, but your love. So please, give me the chance to let me live my dreams, give me the chance to make you happy, to make you feel safe, to make you feel loved" 

I dropped my gaze to the bed, but Ashley placed her hand on my cheek and guided my eyes back to hers. Her eyes flickered to my lips and she lent in slowly. I met her half way and kissed her softly, wrapping both arms around her and holding her close. My hand rested on her cheek and the other tracing patterns into her back. Our lips moved in sync but it wasn't hurried or desperate - it was loving. I pulled her as close as I could, my arms securing her safety. Eventually we needed to breathe, I pulled away but placed several pecks on her lips as I did. 

"Do you trust me Ashley?" I breathed. Her eyes opened and she looked at me.

"Yes" she smiled sincerely. "You mean it, you proved it" 

"I love you" I said simply, rubbing our noses together. She hesitated, fighting an internal battle with herself. Finally she met my eyes and smiled.

"I love you too Alex"