Ch3. P2 - Omens

The magic classes on Saturday morning were canceled to allow students, and teachers, to recover from the previous night

The magic classes on Saturday morning were canceled to allow students, and teachers, to recover from the previous night. Kate and D.C. had arranged an early morning with the new additions to the group to get them to settle smoothly. Morgan didn't show up but Kate wasn't surprised.

D.C. was followed by a dark aura of misery and her looks matched it. On their way to the cafeteria, Kate witnessed two groups of students walk around the girl like she was a predator roaming around the campus.

"What's wrong with you, Dee?" Kate asked. They picked an empty table near the grass and put their bags on the ground.

"I might have taken some Sanity yesterday." D.C. grimaced and used her hands to block the sun from her sunglass-covered eyes. "I feel like my insides are liquid and they're just waiting to be spilled out."

"Gross, I didn't need that much information." Kate crossed her arms over the table and looked at D.C. straight in the eyes, or where she thought her eyes were.

"Don't look at me like that, I got pretty wasted after you left me with Hugo." She defended herself. Her eyebrows moved closer together. "It's your fault if anything, you know we are a dangerous pair."

"You are a grown-up, Dee!" Kate banged her hands on the table and a few students in the neighboring tables turned to look at them. She forced her muscles to relax and leaned back in her chair. "You can take care of yourself."

"I know. I'm sorry, okay?" She pulled her sunglasses down to look at Kate, "I didn't even get it from Dean, I know how much you hate him."

"It doesn't make it any better." Kate looked away but the muscles in her jaw tightened at the mention of the name.

She was tired of her failed attempts to straighten up D.C. She was wild and untamable, but she also had great potential to become someone important. It saddened Kate to watch her waste her life.

Noelle showed up minutes after the girls ordered drinks. An hour later, D.C. was still explaining to her new mentee all the possibilities of her new life while Kate slurped from her empty Frappuccino, lost in thoughts.

She didn't see the fourth person joining their group until the chair next to her was abruptly pulled away from the table. The three girls looked up to find Morgan seating down loudly. She left her backpack fall on the ground and crossed her hands over the table.

Her eyes locked on Kate's and the white-haired girl sat up closer to the table.

Morgan cleared her throat for attention, but she already had it. "I might have overreacted yesterday. I want to learn and if Iryn says you are the best person here to teach me then I'll listen."

Kate looked at D.C. for a reaction but came out empty-handed when she mimicked her own confusion.

"Okay...I can teach you." She said slowly.