Ch1. P2 - Witches

Kate's P.O.V.

The first class of the day was the general Corvus assembly, more widely known as homeroom. Kate walked in just as Sister Octavia, a witch from the council of four, cleared her voice. The woman dressed in a two-piece suit of a deep navy color that enhanced the purple shine of her dark hair.

The woman's eyes lazily passed over Kate's as she scanned the room. Once it was quiet and everybody was seated, she looked down at the papers in her hands.

"Good morning, everybody." She said as she read through the lines of text. "I hope you're all getting used to waking up early again now that the school year has started. Now, going to the announcements. As many of you have heard, if you stayed around during summer, a couple of kids have disappeared. They haven't been found yet but the authorities of Darbury are still investigating."

She took a pause to look up from her papers. The class looked as bored as she had found them when she walked in, there was no doubt that they had heard the announcement a thousand times over the past two weeks and their initial shock was gone. Octavia sighed, looking down again. "Because of this, and the fact that both kids were witcher descendants, the academy will be closed at night. We now have a curfew, so everybody makes sure you are in the campus' grounds before ten P.M. Once the barrier is up, there will be no people coming in or out of the campus."

Some people groaned this time, while others mocked the curfew in a low voice. Kate's expression remained unaltered. Thanks to her mentor and former legal guardian, Sister Iryn, she had already been living this curfew all summer. Kate guessed that the council had just approved it officially if it hadn't been mentioned during the welcome assembly in the first week. The rest of the session was loud and distracting, almost giving her a headache.

Nearing the last ten minutes of the session, the door to the classroom swung open. A girl with a phone in one hand, a coffee in the other, and a bagel in her mouth entered casually as if it wasn't almost time to leave. Without looking away from her phone, she made her way to Kate's table and sat down by her side.

After placing the coffee on the table, she took the bagel from her mouth and met Kate's eyes, "Why didn't you wake me up?"

Kate arched an eyebrow, "I did, you hit me with your pillow."

"Oh... well you've gotta be more persistent, you know how I am in the mornings." She rolled her eyes. "Am I seeing you before Tonight?"

"I've got tutoring with Iryn after class, but we can get ready together," Kate replied, it was Friday which meant general magic check-up with Iryn.

"Okay, don't take too long, we can't be late for the Initiation Ceremony."

"Miss Edwards," A stern voice called to Kate's friend. They both looked up to find Sister Octavia with her arms crossed, standing a step away from their table. "May I remind you that the general morning assembly is still a compulsory class for everybody. Just because you show up late or not at all does not mean it will get canceled anytime soon."

"I slept in," She offered, shrugging without interest.

"That excuse is way overused in your case; don't you think?" The woman tapped her burgundy-colored nails on the side of her arm, "It's your last year and it would be a pity to see you repeat it because you skipped classes.

"That won't happen, besides, it's only the second week."

"I hope so," The Sister was ready to leave when her eyes stopped on the girl's looks, "Please fix up your tie, this is an Academy with class, not a correctional."

With that, Sister Octavia walked away.

"She really hates you, D.C," Kate commented, leaning back on her chair.

"She hates everybody, except maybe you and Mary. But that's just because you two are basically the faces of this place." D.C. said, before taking a sip from her coffee.

"I'm not the face of this place, Mary is the one that's on all the brochures."

"Right, you're just the Academy's golden child." Kate shook her head with a smile on her lips. At that moment, the bell rang, making D.C. jump in her seat. "Okie, I'll see you later. Don't forget the Ceremony and please bring me more coffee on your way back to the dorm."

She hurried out of the classroom. As she walked, Kate noticed some of the students instinctively moving out of her path. D.C. was a sweet girl once people got to know her, but few could see past her tattoos and piercings. Her attitude didn't help her much either.

Mish <3

Mish <3

Whos rooting for D.C?