Ch1. P3 - Prophets

Kate's P

Kate's P.O.V.

The North-West corner of the campus had its own residential area for the High Priest and Sisters of the Corvus order. Kate slipped past the black iron gates designed to keep the students away and followed the rocky path covered in moss and overgrown grass that led to the plaza. In the middle, a well-kept fountain rose at least ten feet tall.

The view was majestic, and it stopped Kate every time she visited. The fountain consisted of a trio of women, the three maidens that served Hekate, and the Goddess herself over the golden tray that the maidens rose above their heads. To the left of the fountain, a thinner path led to Iryn's doorstep.

Kate knocked three times and the door opened seconds after. Iryn greeted her with a smile and stepped aside, welcoming her in.

"Take a seat, Kate. I'll get the tea." Kate nodded and made her way to the old couch where she always sat for those meetings. Once Iryn was back, she took the seat opposite to Kate. "Everything well?"

"So far, no anomalies and no shortness of breath at all." Kate leaned over the table and took the cup of tea in her hands.

"That's good, remember to take it easy. I know it's your last year and a lot is expected of you, but you can't jeopardize your health." Iryn said.

"Iryn..."

"Just be careful, come to me at the slightest headache." She paused for a second, focusing on the pictures behind Kate. Suddenly she shook her head and smiled back, creating creases at the corners of her eyes. "Shall we start with some basic elemental revision?"

Kate moved to the edge of her seat, sitting straight and comfortably, meanwhile Iryn left the room in the search of the needed materials. When she returned, she held a pot with a plant in one hand and a glass of water in the other. A small pouch hung from her fingers and she let it rest on the table first.

Iryn ran her over a basic control protocol with a marble, it required simple magic but great concentration. After she managed to successfully take the marble through a series of hoops and turns, they moved onto earth magic. Iryn had a collection of plants that took over most of her house. Specifically, the flowers lined in front of the window that looked at the back of the house served for magic training.

She picked one of the dandelions and placed them in front of Kate, ordering her to make it bloom. Kate was fairly acquittanced with Earth magic and had the flower opening towards the sun in no time. When it came to the water element, things became slippery. Water was hard to control and often required more concentration than air itself.

It turned out that it was easier to control a floating object than to collect and morph a body of water.

After she successfully got a stream moving from one glass to another in a loop, Iryn allowed her to take her leave.

"That was good, although we have to work on water." She said as she walked Kate to the door.

"No fire today?" Kate questioned, raising an eyebrow.

"I think three was enough, most people barely get to control one fully." Iryn smiled and put both hands on Kate's shoulders. "How are you feeling?"

"Kind of tired?"

"I meant about tonight."

"Oh... okay, I guess. It's just a ceremony for the new kids." She shrugged.

"But you'll be assigned a mentee, and that's a lot of responsibility and effort when you are also training to be a prophet." Something about her tone led Kate to think that Iryn was giving her a chance to opt-out.

"I'll manage. At least I'll leave a legacy, right?" Kate took Iryn's hands from her shoulders and held them in hers. "I can do it and I will succeed. In two years' time, you'll be visiting me at the oracle in Argos."

"That's all the way in Europe, I doubt I'll be allowed anywhere near without a valid excuse." She shook her head, but a smile crept on her lips, "You had to go and candidate for the most secured Temple in the world, didn't you?"

"It's either the best or nothing, you taught me that."

"I did." The smile dimmed but remained there, "Now go get ready and remember to also have fun, they don't allow parties at Argos."

Mish <3

Mish <3

Vote and Comment to show support or leave your thoughts!

P.S. I especially love comments about theories or future guesses.