Chapter Thirty One

Start from the beginning

N. Todoroki: Did you stay with your mom then?

I shook my head.

Midoriya: No, I actually gave up trying to contact her three months ago. I used to send her a letter every month, but decided to stop since it's been so long... and she hasn't shown any sign of wanting to see me again.

Then Fuyumi remembered the argument.

F. Todoroki: I'm, actually curious, did the fight with your mom actually have something to do with Shoto?

I nodded my head.

Midoriya: I'm not sure why, but my mom never liked Shoto, so when she found out we were married, that's when the fight happened.

Shoto's mom tilted her head.

R. Todoroki: So you didn't tell your parents either?

Midoriya: Well, my dad knew and he went to the wedding, my parents are currently divorced.

F. Todoroki: Wait... Mom, you knew...?

Shoto's mom nodded.

R. Todoroki: Shoto told me that the two of you were engaged during your final year. Sometime before he got that detention.

Shoto looked down, Natsuo looked at him.

N. Todoroki: Wait, was that why you got in that fight? Was Midoriya involved?

Shoto shrugged.

Todoroki: Partly, yes. The classmate I got in a fight with made an attempt to harm him, and as we learned later, had I not intervened, Izuku could have needed medical attention.

Natsuo looked down.

N. Todoroki: Oh, I thought it was just because you wanted to stir up trouble.

Endeavor: Natsuo.

N. Todoroki: What? Fuyumi thought the same thing. He's lied about stuff before to get sympathy. Plus, it wouldn't really come as a shock if it was done unprovoked. Didn't he freeze Toya when he was five, and then burn him?

Endeavor breathed out and spoke with a guilty tone.

Endeavor: That first part was an accident. And I'm sure Shoto told you, I was the one who burned Toya. The whole reason he was sent to the hospital was because I got mad at Shoto for unfreezing Toya when he could do it himself, then Toya tried to fight back, and you know what happened next. Your younger brother is blameless. In fact he tried helping Toya.

This silenced us for a moment.

Those burns that Toya had on his skin, that require staples to keep attached to the rest of him, that caused him daily pain... I believed Shoto when he told me at the start of our relationship, but now that I'd actually seen them... I became slightly more afraid of Endeavor.

I looked back at Fuyumi and saw she had shadows over her eyes.

F. Todoroki: So, all these years we've been brushing Shoto off, and getting upset with him for taking mom and your attention away from us, and getting mad when he'd tell us how much he hated spending time with you... was Shoto really exaggerating...?

Endeavor shook his head immediately.

Endeavor: No, he wasn't. If you were skeptical you could have asked your mother...

Natsuo shook his head.

N. Todoroki: We did, but...—Why is it still a big deal? Why did you cut contact with all of us when the problem was with dad? Why run away? We thought you were dead or something! You still had people in this family that cared about you.