Chapter Eleven

My body reacted as if it was on autopilot; I could barely process my own thoughts. None of my training prepared me for acid rain and I found myself panicking under pressure. I fumbled with the rope tied around my body and managed to undo it before hastily unzipping my backpack and shoving my half folded sleeping bag inside. The tree provided me some cover at first but now the rain was burning through the foliage of needles, creating scarce looking branches. 

I was smart enough to fold up my jacket and tuck it underneath my arm to prevent the rain from searing through. However, my arms were bare and each drop of rain sent a burning pain through me. I knew if I didn't act fast enough I risked not only burning my skin but also causing infection on the burned skin. My only option was to launch myself from the tree and find some type of cave or enclosure to conceal myself in. With one last breath I leapt onto the cold ground beneath me, breaking my fall with my left arm. 

"Ouch!" I cried out before suddenly remembering I was in the Hunger Games and couldn't risk alerting others to my whereabouts. The pain from incorrectly breaking my fall with my wrist was palpable and I knew it would cause me problems later on. I mentally cursed myself and began to take off in one direction as the rain began to grow stronger. Through the dark I could make out singed sections of underbrush from the acidity of the rain. I began to wildly push my way through the dark forest, adrenaline coursing through my body and into my fingertips.

In the distance I heard a rumble of thunder and watched as a flash of lightning lit up the sky. A high pitched scream cut through the air causing my stomach to churn. "Help me! I can't see! My eyes-" I flinched in response to the cry for help and kept moving forward. I needed to find shelter now. My head was ducked into my body as I tried to block the rain from penetrating my eyes. 

I desperately attempted to pick up my pace but instead lost my footing on the ground and tripped over a jagged rock. My already swollen left hand landed in a puddle on the ground and it felt like someone had just lit it on fire. Tears leaked out of my eyes as I bit my tongue to stop myself from yelling out, but this was some of the most unimaginable pain. Rolling  off the ground I staggered around for several more yards before the flashes of pain overtook my body and I fell once more, this time crawling on the soft ground before I heard the sound of my hands on the ground echo and squinted into the dark. There had to be a cave- what else would cause an echo? 

Several moments passed by as I continued to feel around on the ground. By now my body was cold but my arms were stinging from the corrosive water. By some saving grace I managed to find a small opening between two large rocks and spent a minute squeezing myself through it. I clutched onto my backpack blindly as I rolled down a narrow tunnel. I didn't notice my eyes were closed tightly until I opened them and saw... Light?

As my eyes adjusted to the dimly lit enclosure I keeled away in shock. Awaiting me were two narrow eyes. A rush of fear flooded over me as I registered the immediate danger I was in. My hands reacted clumsily as I bent to pull my knife from my backpack, but to my fear I had been in a rush and smothered the knives with my sleeping bag. I couldn't grab one in time.

"Save it" the voice spoke as my eyes adjusted to the darkness. "I don't care enough to kill you." The speaker's face came into focus, but I recognized her voice first. "Olivia?" I choked out while still shuffling around for a weapon to defend myself. This could be it. This could be the moment I was killed. And so soon in the games? Jace would be incredibly disappointed in me. Even if I survived he would be disappointed in me. I had just made a fool out of myself with my unpreparedness; stumbling around the woods with deep burns covering my arms. Foolishness. Jace did not train me to be an amateur. 

"Yeah it's me. What happened to you?" She spoke in a tone of scorn. "You look like a hot mess" she snickered to herself. My body remained tense as I was still uneasy about her presence. Although we had spoken before, I was still hesitant to befriend her. This entire time I was instructed to stay away from alliances. They caused more trouble than good. That was one thing I couldn't help but agree with.