Chapter Thirteen

Maxwell's POV

That was one of the best days of my life. Well, more of like one of the most memorable ones.

Firstly, I didn't go to work while it was a work day, which is something I rarely did. I usually didn't go, not because of wanting to, but maybe because I was sick or something like that.

I was now sitting in the plane, listening to the relaxing music I'd taken from Valerie's phone. It was very relaxing and I realized that I wasn't as moody or as cranky as I would be when I had this type of meeting that i had to attend.

The meeting that I told Valerie about was not really business related, but in a way, to me, it was. My mother had called for me to come home, of which I really didn't have much say when it came to her. I knew that if I didn't go there, I'd see her the next day at my house. This meant that I had to meet my father too.

I avoided my future problem that was waiting for me by listening to the music. It reminded one of Valerie, of the day we spent together.

That brought a grin on my face, and for a second, I'd forgotten all about the trip. I had fun yesterday. Though I didn't do what I usually did when I met up with a girl, I liked it. Eating food together, reading in each other's company, doing the dishes. Valerie slept on my lap, and I couldn't help but look at her while she slept. She looked so at peace, all the worries of what happened had left her face. I trailed a finger down her cheek, revelling how smooth her skin was. She didn't wear makeup, but she was gorgeous.

It was.......homey, for me. I began to think of those people who had married, and had been living together. So, this was how they lived? This was how it felt like? When you left home, you just wanted to go back, because you'll be already missing the one you're with? Because I........was already missing Valerie.

I was wondering how I was so entranced by a girl I haven't done anything with, apart from kissing her cheek and forehead, how I'm so enamored by her, how I constantly worry for her wellbeing.

I should text Greg later when I land, and ask him for the day's update, and how Valerie was fairing. I could text or call her myself, but I was sure that she wouldn't say anything to me if anything was wrong. She was that type of girl who carried the whole weight on her shoulders, and didn't like to be helped.

When the plane landed, I got out and removed airplane mode and began to text Greg.

Me: Afternoon, Greg. My daily report.

I waited for a little bit, but I was getting impatient. I wanted to know what was happening while I was not there.

Greg: We went to church in the morning. Funny thing is we go to the same church, but I didn't know until today.

Mmmm...... Greg and Valerie are getting too close for comfort. I knew I shouldn't be jealous because he was married, but I couldn't help it.

Me: So where are you now?

Greg: We are now at an orphanage, St Carlos. She gave some money to the woman, and now she's talking to some of the girls.

He took a picture and sent it to me.

She was sitting on a chair wearing a red dress that was just below her knees and kids were surrounding her. She seemed to be listening to one of the kid's story and she had a beautiful smile on her face, which made my heart skip a beat.

So this is where she finds her joy and happiness?

I sat in the car as the driver was taking me to a place that should be home, but was far from it. After sitting for what felt like forever for me, the car finally pulled into the driveway of my parents' mansion.