✨Chapter one-Family ties

Emily's POV_

Yesterday's event flooded my mind as I tossed and turned in bed.
"Did I do that?"

"Sneaking out to my best friend's party was a terrible idea'', I thought to myself before stealing a glance at my alarm clock. It was six-thirty am.
"Time for school", I mentally groaned.

My best friend's parents were cool and they allowed her to throw a party while they went to a hotel for some alone time. I envied how her parents still acted like high school sweethearts and their love seemed like it bloomed with each passing spring. Lucy was lucky to be an only child of this fun pair.

They gave my best friend just three ground rules for the party. She had sent them to me but trust me she broke them all.

°Rules°
Only guys in grade eleven are allowed.
Both grade ten, eleven and twelve guys came to the party. Not more than twenty teenagers with a maximum of eight boys, but they were over forty teenagers in her house or at least they looked like teenagers. No alcohol allowed. She didn't break this rule, well technically the older boys came with it.

I didn't understand why we were having a party on Sunday. It felt so wrong.

The party commenced by seven pm. My dad usually came home by four on Sundays. He was so committed to his job that he went even on Sundays but, for lesser hours. Sometimes, with the amount of time he spent at work; it wouldn't pass as an exaggeration if I concluded his work was his first child.

Dad has this routine of ordering food whenever he was too tired to cook.
Luckily for me, this was one of those days. I feigned loss of appetite and retired to my room first.

I waited until he and my younger brother were asleep or it seemed so as the house became quiet. The dishes must have been done quickly. My dad was probably really tired. Once he slept he wouldn't get up until four a.m, that was his sleep pattern.

I quickly wore my short floral gown. It was free and comfortable with my black boots. I took my spare key with me.

Her house was close to mine. It was a ten minutes drive from my house. I drove there on Kacy, my bike. I named it and we have been together for a year now.

Lucy hugged me tightly as soon as I arrived. Being me, I made sure not to take any drinks. I didn't want to take any chances or fall victim to anything.

The party was quite boring to me. Loud pop music was blaring from the speakers and a part of me felt guilty for having snuck out of the house. I knew my dad wouldn't let me go to the party but Lucy was my best friend. Dad would never understand that. He was always wary of her.

Guys were dancing with girls while some were taking it further to second base. My conscience finally won eventually. I left the party without telling Lucy and returned home. I knew she would have convinced me to stay and loosen up.

By approximately 8:45 pm, I was back home. My plan would have been successful but James switched on the lights.

"Busted"

"James please don't say anything to dad promise me"

He smiled then nodded. I was relieved.

***presently

Dad was scolding James. He had just caught James playing video games as usual rather than getting dressed for school. This activity of theirs woke me up some mornings.

James was something. Dad always warned him not to play video games on a school morning but he never listens.

If dad's scolding didn't wake me up, Lucy's constant calls and messages would. What kind of a person calls someone by 6 am? Lucy Walker, the phenomenal buzz. Some moments when it gets so overwhelming, I switch my phone off but she's amazing.