Chapter 23: Panic

Start from the beginning

The circus tent came into view, relief went through half of the group. The other half was to terrified to do anything but run. From the distance they were they could see most people avoiding the tent in favor of running. Or maybe they were just trying to avoid the clowns inside.

The group tore inside, seeing the circus folk scurrying around. A few other Fair goers had found their way inside and were being taken care of by the circus folk. Haley was giving orders to those not helping the terrified people. He obviously didn't want anyone to be hurt.

"Haley!" Damian shouted. The group ran towards the Ringmaster. Haley saw the group running towards him, fronted by Damian.

"Damian. And friends. We heard the explosion and these people told us what's going on," Haley said. "Is it really-"

"Yeah it is," Damian said. "Can you keep us safe?"

"Course, my people are backstage. We have some gas masks back there," Haley said. "But you'll have to make a choice of who gets one."

"Women and children first," Giovanni spoke up. "Make sure the children and their mothers have them. Then go from there."

"It doesn't matter. Once the gas gets in, there's no hope," Damian shook his head. "For those who don't have masks, they're done for."

"Don't say that!" Abigail screamed. She looked like a mess. Her eyes were overflowing in tears. Snot and spit were coming out of her face. She had her hands covering her ears, nails digging into her head. She was the worse out of everyone. "Please. There has to be hope."

"This is the Joker," Damian said, his voice low and serious. "We're all his hostages. There's little hope once that gas is let loose."

"What about Batman and Robin?" Noah asked. "When they get here, they'll bet his ass back to Arkham."

Lindsey felt her heart clench in her chest. Robin was standing in front of them, telling them the one thing they didn't want to hear. Lindsey looked to Damian. He was completely still, not even his eyes were moving. Lindsey laid a hand on Damian's arm that was still holding her arm. Damian sighed before turning to Lindsey.

"I need to talk to Lindsey," Damian muttered, pulling her away from the group. They walked backstage behind a cabinet with costumes hanging out of it.

Damian let go of Lindsey's arm, before gripping his hair with both his hands. He turned away from Lindsey hissing in a breath.

"Damian you need to get out there," Lindsey was the first to speak.

"I know, but first I need to make sure you're safe," Damian said, turning sharply to Lindsey. "I won't loose you, not to that psychopath."

"Are you that scared of him?" Lindsey asked.

"I'm not scared of him," Damian scoffed. "I'm scared for you. You don't seem to be taking this seriously. He's caused so much harm, Lindsey. He won't think twice about killing you, or Ryeanne, or Giovanni, or that little boy crying into his mom's chest out there. This is all just a game to him. A game no one else but Batman and Robin should play."

"He's a villain, that's what villains do. And I am taking this seriously. Damian, I'm terrified." Lindsey reached for Damian's hand, placing it over her heart. Damian could feel it beating wildly. "But I'm also terrified because Robin isn't out there to knock some bad guys out. The more we fight about this, the less chance there is to save so many others."

"You expect me to just leave you like this?" Damian asked, grabbing Lindsey's shoulders. "You are my Beloved. No one else matters. Not your friends. I was ready to leave them in the crowd to make sure you're safe."