Chapter 17: Expectations

"Are you sure you need to get home now?" Ryeanne asked. Lindsey, Blaire, Juliet, and Ryeanne were all at the mall together. They were hanging out as a group since they didn't get to see each other during Spring Break last week. Kelsey and Abigail were going to join them. But Kelsey had a Decathlon meeting that ran late and Abigail had a last minute audition for something.

"Yeah, my grandparents gave me a new curfew after I didn't come home on time from vacation with Damian," Lindsey said.

"What were you two doing that made you late getting home?" Juliet asked.

"We went and visited my parents graves," Lindsey said. "It was really emotional and we stayed there longer than I even thought possible."

"And that made you late?" Juliet asked.

"No but the traffic on the way back after we had lunch did," Lindsey shrugged.

"That's a bit cruel," Blaire said. "They couldn't even let you off with because of traffic."

"It's okay though," Lindsey said. "They're only working out for me."

"Well let's get you home," Ryeanne said. "We can do this again with the other girls some other time."

"I had so much fun today! I'm so glad you were all here," Blaire said. "I love the new clothes you guys said I had to get."

Lindsey followed the girls to Blaire's car. They all talked as Blaire drove to the manor. Once they reached the gate, Lindsey punched in the number for the gate and Blaire drove her to the door.

"WE'll see you tomorrow, Lindsey," Ryeanne shouted as Lindsey exited the car.

"Finally Friday!" Juliet shouted. "Maybe we can all go shopping tomorrow after school since it's the weekend. Is your curfew the same for the weekends?"

"Don't know," Lindsey shrugged. "I'll ask and let you all know tomorrow."

"Bye, Lindsey!" the girls shouted as she closed the door and walked to the door.

As she entered the house she was automatically stopped by Diane, the Head Caretaker.

"Diane, you scared me," Lindsey said, as she jumped. "I didn't see you there."

"I didn't mean to scare you, Lindsey," Diane said politely.

"Was there something you need to ask me?" Lindsey asked

"Lindsey, your grandparents would like to speak with you in the dining room," Diane said as Lindsey walked into the manor. Diane took her Lindsey backpack and bags from her.

"They do?" Lindsey asked. It's been a while since her grandparents had wanted to talk to her. "What about do you know?"

"I don't miss, but I have a hunch," Diane said.

"Are you going to tell me?" Lindsey asked.

"It's best you see what they want before I say anything," Diane said.

"Okay, thank you, Diane," Lindsey said before walking to the dining room.

"Grandma, Grandpa?" Lindsey called as she walked into the dining room.

"Lindsey there you are!" Grandma Holling said as she saw her granddaughter. She jumped up and ran over to hug her.

"What did you need to talk to me about?" Lindsey asked.

"Why don't you come and sit down and have some pie?" Grandpa Holling asked from the head of the table. "We can talk while we have pie."

"What kind is it?" Lindsey asked walking to the right side of Grandpa Holling, the opposite side of the room to where the door was. Grandma Holling sat on his left.