Chapter 7: Lunch

As Lindsey got closer to the table Damian was sitting at, the cafeteria became quieter. She began feeling all the eyes in the cafeteria on her. It made her a bit uncomfortable, yet she kept her head held high. By the time she was standing across from Damian, you could hear a drop of paint hit the ground.

Damian gazed at her, and she gazed back. Neither of them said a word to the other. Everyone in the cafeteria was holding their breaths waiting for something to be said among the two.

"Are you going to sit down?" Damian asked out of the blue.

"I didn't know you wanted me to," Lindsey gasped out. She hadn't realized she was holding her breath until she spoke.

"That's usually what happens when one person wants another to have lunch with them," Damian said as if it was obvious. He had an eyebrow raised at her as he was waiting for her to sit. Whispers broke out among the other students. Each of them about Damian Wayne and the new girl.

"Is that why you asked me to come over here?" Lindsey asked still unsure of why he asked her to come over to her.

"Is that okay?" Damian asked politely.

Lindsey could hear that people were whispering throughout the cafeteria. She decided to listen to what they were saying. She heard one person ask "Friends?" Another person she could hear them say, "Sleeping together?" Another person whispered, "Whore."

Lindsey then pulled out the chair across from Damian and sat down. The right corner of Damian's mouth turned upward. The cafeteria gasped. Perhaps they were waiting for Damian to tell her to leave and watch her walk away crying. Instead this new girl was sitting with the great Damian Wayne and he didn't seem to care. Lindsey pulled out her lunch and started eating.

Damian turned to his lunch, which lay in front of him on the table, and started eating. Talking started around the cafeteria once the two of them started eating. Lindsey finished her lunch quickly, hoping the lunch hour would move just as fast. But unfortunately time was cruel and continued it's slow pace.

Lindsey looked to Damian, who was eating his lunch slowly, like he wanted to draw out his time eating to not have a conversation between them. That's when she noticed what he was eating and asked, "Why are you eating a salad? I've never seen a boy eat a salad just by itself, willingly."

"I'm a vegetarian," Damian said quickly before returning to his food.

"Really?"

"I wasn't lying. I love animals. They shouldn't be killed just so that we can have more forms of nourishment."

"I wasn't trying to say you were lying. I just couldn't believe a guy like you could look like you and not eat meat," Lindsey said. "Don't you need protein to have muscles like that.

"I became a vegetarian after I started living with my Father," Damian said. "There's other forms of protein besides meat. Plus you don't get muscles from eating protein. It comes from hard work and training."

"Was it hard?" Lindsey asked. "Becoming a vegetarian, that is, you said you started after you started living with your dad."

"I learned that you shouldn't be picky when it comes to food when I was younger," Damian said. "It all goes to the same place in the end."

"I guess it does," Lindsey muttered.

Silence fell between the two of them once again. Lindsey looked over to her friends, who were still watching the two of them.

Ryeanne looked scared at her new friend before she had a lightbulb go off in her head. She held her phone up to Lindsey. She started typing furiously onto it. A couple seconds later she looked up at Lindsey. Lindsey heard her phone go off inside her backpack. She reached into her bag and pulled out her phone.