eighteen

"hi, tobio!"

he sat on my desk the second he came into homeroom, collecting his hands into his lap and messing with the fibers of the yellow sweatshirt sleeve that was just a bit too long for his arms.

"you seem happy."

"it's 'cause i am." he squinted at me teasingly.

"about what?"

"i don't know."

he knows. of course he knows, he knows everything. he knows my celebrity crush, my favorite boba flavor, my favorite color, and he knows that i've been thinking about him all weekend, because everything about me gave that away when i smiled at him through the doorway just a moment ago.
he's not so shy today, more open- like he was when he first came to school. he's smiling, but it's different now. it's not small, or sarcastic, or flirty. it's just... happy. it's him. for once, i'm seeing him.
i never want to see anything else.

"i like you, shōyō."

"phew, what a relief! i like you too. you know that, silly." he mocked me with a tiny chuckle, taking one of his warm hands and placing it on top of mine on the desk.

"i'm gonna go sit in my seat, we're gonna start soon. talk at lunch, 'kay?"

"mhm."

then he was across the class, and lunch felt an eon away. but, he looked at me the whole time. he kept looking, and i looked, too, and he would blush and i would blush and we'd both smile and turn away, and the cycle would repeat, because i like him, and he likes me, and we just want it to be lunch already.
i feel so open. i feel like i can say anything, do anything, be anything. when he looks at me, i am different. i am better, i think. it makes me better to have him around.

how i ever hated him, i don't know.