Chapter Fourteen: Similarly Different

"You're were what!?"

"A human, for crying out loud!" Kai grumbled loudly, "Get with the program, Mad Doc!"

"How in the name of Primus were you turned into a Predacon!?" Ratchet didn't even acknowledge the nickname, he was so stunned that his optics were as wide as an owl's, "The children weren't even Predacons! Why are you one?"

Kai rolled her optics, "Did you not hear? I. Nearly. Died!"

Knockout chuckled nervously, "Could you two calm down before somebot scratchesmypaint!" The cherry red mech shrieked and ducked under a flying wrench. He took refuge behind Kai's medical berth.

"Calm down?" She snarled, "Calm down!?" The medic cowered under her fierce gaze, "How can I calm down when you are supposed to be dead!" The dragon-former glared at the others in turn, "You apparently aren't who I thought you were, so how can I expect anything to happen when I have no idea what to expect?!"

The shorter medic peeked over the edge of her berth, "What were you expecting, exactly?"

She vented, cooling her heated systems, "Oh I don't know." Sarcasm laced her voice, "Maybe I expected to be slowly torn to bits, or stabbed in the spark, or have my helm crushed, or whatever torture method Ratchet's thinking of today!" She laughed, the horribly hollow sound echoing throughout the room. The noise died, slowly becoming nothing more than a whimper.

Kai had seen the Autobots do so many bad things to so many Decepticons, it was simply torture for them to not hurt her again.

"Why are the Decepticons bad? They just protected that family."

Ratchet's green optics flashed in the dark Med Bay, "Because they are against us, Artemis. They are rebels who need to be crushed before they destroy your planet." A claw slashed against her shoulder, drawing blood.

"Why did you do that?"

The medic growled, "So you learn not to ask such nonsense things!"

"You are traumatized."

Her left arm flinched at the memory. Kai picked up her helm to meet the cyan optics of Ratchet. Her mournful expression instantly hardened in a scowl, "No thanks to you."

"You must understand, Kai." Optimus reasoned gently, "We do not mean to bring you harm."

"How can I believe you?" She snapped.

The Prime observed her for a moment, deep in thought. Just before Kai began to feel uncomfortable, he turned to Ratchet, "Is our patient well enough to walk?"

Kai's optics widened. No, they couldn't be...

She watched as the medic scanned her frame and checked the results, "Well," He said, "She may experience some difficulty, but her chassis is otherwise healed."

Kai flexed her claws in agitation. What were they going to do to her?

"Release her."

Ratchet frowned at the order, "Optimus, she may have been... adversely affected by our alternate counterparts, but that does not mean we should just let her go!"

"We are not, old friend." The Prime gave her the ghost of a smile, "I simply want Kai to feel welcome here. I need to show her that we are not enemies."

Knockout, who had been shockingly silent this whole time, pointed out, "What if she goes all beasty on your team, Optimus?"

Kai vented sharply. Do not hurt him. Do not hurt him. Do not hurt him. If BD found out you hurt him, he would kill you.