Chapter Twenty-Seven: Why Are You Here?

Artemis didn't understand how or why she felt this way, but she knew deep down that her sister was in that comet. It could be instinct, some form of intuition, or that strange force that alerted a human of their kin's wellbeing. She didn't care what it was, only that it was screaming at her to catch that streak of light before it vanished in the distance. 

"Artemis!" Starscream called after his charge. She paid little heed to his voice and continued bolting down the halls of Darkmount, searching vigorously for the nearest exit. A few doors whizzed past and she nearly knocked over several Vehicons in the process, but she finally came across a small balcony.

Thanking Primus for her good fortune, her servo rushed to enter the code.

The keypad flashed red and reset to purple.

The Predacon let out a loud, guttural groan, "Ugh, Starscream!" Curse her and her bad number memory!

"I got it!" Airachnid got there before the taller guardian and hastily entered the code, "You're not the only one with family in that thing!"

The keypad flashed green and the reinforced door opened. Kai paused, "Insecticons?"

The smaller femme nodded with a pained grimace, "Three of them."

The dragon former swore and stepped onto the small balcony. Cold, crisp air billowed around the Predacon. Darkmount was a fortress, so this platform was heavily guarded with high walls and small gaps to shoot from. She took in the heavily armored structure for a moment before focusing wholeheartedly on the objective. " 'Nid, I think I can give you a lift-," several airborne frames zipped past them, "-but we need to stay hidden so no one sees me." Despite the time, Kaon was alive and bustling. It lacked the tall towers of Iacon, but the city was nonetheless impressive.

"Artemis, here!" 

The femme turned just in time to catch a silver orb. Predaking and Starscream stood in the doorway. The taller mech spoke in a rush, "Megatron pinpointed the trajectory and will be following behind. Jackson left to alert the others."

"Don't you need this?" Kai raised the sphere to optic level.

The Great Hunter reached into his subspace and pulled out a familiar mechanism, "Your guardian requested another one after your first successful hunt." He walked up to her side, "Come, we fly together now." Despite their circumstances, a small but proud smile was given to her. The King was truly pleased to see his kin's progress. A youngling's first hunt was a serious matter, and she succeeded flawlessly.

Starscream jumped onto the high wall, landing in a crouch, "I will take point. You three must remain close behind. Ready?" He glanced back over his shoulder, making eye contact with his charge.

The Lightbender was clamped onto her shoulder armor, whirring with life. "As I'll ever be." She responded, though slightly unsure of herself. Kai had only flown once before, and that was on primal instinct alone. Could she do it now and remain in full control?

She was going to have to.

The Seeker turned his attention back to the skies, "Alright, let's go!"

The silver mech leapt off of the wall and transformed. The jet-alt took off, leaving a gust of wind behind him.

"Airachnid, with me." Predaking commanded, mindful of Artemis's only new knowledge of flight.

The spider femme nodded. "Got it."

The mech transformed and allowed her to climb into his back. He jumped onto the shockingly sturdy wall and dropped over the edge.

Kai's turn.