Chapter Ten

The wind whips through my hair as I dash down the road, my sights set on Annabel's Hill. Johnathan's beat me to it; his figure is outlined by the soft falling petals. My legs hurt from the exercise, but every running second means I'm one step closer to freedom.

He waves his hands wildly above his head and grins. Once I near the hill, I don't dare stop. I crash into Johnathan, sending us both spiralling down into the grass. Laughter escapes my lips.

He laughs. "You're insane!"

I grab his hand and pull him up, proceeding to climb the branches of the tree.
After being perched on a branch, I speak again. "Insanity is good in some cases, right?"

"Of course; sometimes people need insanity to bring them sanity." he says.

I lower my voice. "Are you willing to explain that poem to me?"

Johnathan's ears goes red. "I honestly don't know what I was doing in that moment. One minute I was sitting in my chair, the next moment I was standing in front of the class reciting something I promised never to show."

"Who did you write it for?"

He fumbles with the ends of his jacket. "I wrote it for you."

I clear my throat, my voice cracking in the process. "I-I didn't even know you wrote poetry."

"I do when I get inspired. It's a good way to channel your emotions, I guess."

I grin. "So I inspired you?"

Johnathan rolls his eyes. "If you want to think like that, then yes, you inspired me."

An inspiration. I've never considered myself one of those, but I guess it's possible for me to become one. If I've inspired Johnathan, what if I can inspire others too?