eight

"Yams, I think I got it now! You can let go."
Kawakami feels confident in her skating and she has gotten used to it as they have been skating together for an hour, but she never let go of his hand. She always loses her balance or almost runs into other skaters.

"You sure?" She nods at him with a thumbs up and they let go of the others' hand. The warmth still remains in their palms; Yamaguchi quickly wipes his hand on his pants to wipe off the sweat he believes is there. The nervous girl skates up ahead of him and smiles to herself proudly. Her feet go back and fourth smoothly, and she feels like she is already a pro - until two little girls zoom past her on their own skates at about 100 mph.

Kawakami's smile drops at them and turns to her crush with a dissapointed look. Yamaguchi chuckles quietly at her look and grows even more in love with her if it's possible.

Wait -

Love?

'Isn't that too soon?'
He ends up saying he loves the girl in his head subconsciously - the boy knows he has a big crush on her, but didn't think he loves her. His eyes widen at his thoughts and he questions himself with thousands of questions. He may have thought of those three words before, but never comprehended it until now. He realizes he is getting distracted and shakes it off for later, but right when he does he's too late and runs into Kawakami somehow.

The girl is babbling about those little girls as Yamaguchi was stuck in his cluttered thoughts. As she turns to face him he suddenly collides with her and she squeals as she gripped onto the nearest thing, which was Tadashi. That doesn't help the situation and that causes them to fall onto the middle of the rink. People stare at them as they rolled past, and even a couple people snicker, but the two don't notice.

They don't notice because the boy is right on top of the dark haired girl. Their faces are inches apart and they are just staring at each other in shock. Both feel their faces heat up and then Yamaguchi quickly tries to regain himself. He clears his throat and sits up quickly.
"I-I'm so sorry, I should have been paying attention more." When he gets up he reaches down and holds out a hand to Kawakami. She grabs ahold of it and he lifts her up and yet again their faces are right by each other.

Kawakami eagerly wants to lean in and kiss his lips that are basically calling out her name, but she can't. It would be weird. Especially in the place they are in now. She brushes off her thoughts and smiles to him.
"Maybe you're handing your skills to me." She giggles to him and pats down her skirt. He's still blushing from moments before and he's having trouble processing things.
"I- uh, y-yeah, I guess so..." His hand reaches up and holds the back of his neck as he nervously laughs. He looks at her face and notices a hair out of place on Kawakami's head so he gracefully moves it back into place.

"Hey, lovebirds! Get off of the rink, it's senior skating!" One of the employees calls out to them from the side and they jump at his voice.
"R-Right!" Yamaguchi says and he grabs her hand and pulls them out of the rink. They pass by older men and women heading to skate where they were before. When they get off they turn back to the other.
"Enough skating for today, want to go get something to eat?" Kawakami says to the taller first year.

He nods and they head to where their things are set down.

~

They sit across from each other at a booth in a random food place they saw. Both of them got their own seperate meals and they shared a basket of fries. Kawakami glances at her phone to see the time.
6:24

She honestly wishes time would go by slower so they would have more time together. She also wants more time to think about whether or not she should confess to him. The girl knows she should since he's the one that asked her, but what if today made him not like her.