r e t u r n

Well.... I've gotten my motivation back for writing this story. Hopefully, I don't lose it again. Quarantine has really negatively affected my life and a lot of future plans of mine... so yeah.

It was dawn by the time she returned to the bakery.

Marinette transformed back in an alleyway near the bakery. She made sure to take off the jacket and tuck it securely under her arm. If her parents asked she would just tell her an acquaintance let her use the jacket and that she would return it on a later date.

As she walked into her home, she realized that it was strangely devoid of its scent of fresh bread.

"Marinette!" Her mother cried as she ran towards her.

Her father came running down immediately after hearing his wife cry out. And to Marinette's surprise, Chloe also came down. Marinette figured Chloe would have left after the akuma had been taken care of.

The family hugged. Afterward, Chloe took Marinette's hands in hers. 

"Why would you rush out like that?" Chloe asked with teary eyes. If something had happened to Marinette at the beginning of their new relationship, Chloe would never be able to forgive herself.

Marinette seeing this felt bad. Even though she was saving Paris, she hated lying to people.

"I... I had to make sure that someone I knew would be okay." she replied.

"Oh, Marinette..." her parents said regretfully. Marinette felt an oncoming scolding coming her way. She cringed.

Chloe looked at Marinette, then to her parents. She smiled. "The important thing is that Marinette is okay. And that she understands that running off like this is incredibly dangerous and reckless, especially if it's for the sake of someone else." Chloe felt a tiny twinge of jealousy that there was someone Marinette was willing to go to great lengths to protect. She hoped that she would become someone like that for Marinette one day too.

Marinette's parents glanced at each other and smiled. They nodded and left; the bakery needed to start running again. The bakery would be busy very soon since people would be coming home from work soon.

Marinette tilted her head. It seemed like something had happened between her parents and Chloe. She looked to Chloe, but all she gave as an indication that something had happened was a gentle smile.

Marinette immediately blushed. That smile really suited Chloe.

"Marinette lets go up to your room and talk for a bit. I have to go home soon so I can't stay long." Chloe said.

Marinette nodded. She let Chloe lead her into her room. When both girls were in the room, Chloe let go of Marinette's hands.  

She sighed and looked away. "Marinette, I'm really glad you're fine." 

Now it was Marinette's turn to smile. "Me too Chloe. If I wasn't fine, it would be a bad way to start our new friendship." 

Chloe nodded. An awkward silence followed. As Marinette looked for something to say, Chloe spoke up. "So... why do you have Felix's coat?"

Marinette jolted in surprise. Chloe knew Felix?

Chloe giggled at the expression of Marinette's face. "Yes, I know Felix. We grew up together. He's the reason why I know Adrien." She giggled again.

Marinette couldn't help but wonder more, though she decided not to ask more since Chloe would perceive it as avoiding the question. "I see. Um... well, while I was heading to my friend's place, I got caught up in the storm. Felix happened to help when I got stuck in the snow. And um... I was still a bit cold when I was leaving so I borrowed his coat." Marinette cringed, hoping that Chloe would believe her. It was half the truth and also half of a lie.