𝘨𝘳𝘪𝘭𝘭𝘦𝘥 𝘤𝘩𝘦𝘴𝘶𝘴; 𝘱𝘢𝘳𝘵 𝘧𝘰𝘶𝘳

Stephanie ran through the hospital corridor trying to catch up to the boy she had just spotted.

"Hey, Kurt." She gave him a soft smile.

"Hi." He stopped walking and gave the girl a quick hug before breaking apart from her.

"I was wondering if i could come see your dad with you."

He raised his eyebrows, his lips forming into a little smile.

"I don't believe in the prayers either, don't worry, but i just thought maybe i could be there with you for a while."

He nodded. "I'd really like that. Come on, i'll take you to his room."

Stephanie trailed behind Kurt as his disappeared around a corner. He stopped when he reached a certain room's window, but didn't go in. Curious, she stepped behind him to look in and see what was going on.

"The trees are so much taller
And i feel so much smaller
The moon is twice as lonely
And the stars are half as bright"

Rachel sang softly at Burt's bedside, surrounded by Mercedes, Quinn, Finn and Carole.

Tears filled Kurt's eyes as he continued to watch from the window.

"Papa, how i love you
Papa, how i need you
Papa, how i miss you
Kissing me
Good night"

She held the last note, before asking "Who's next?"

Kurt walked into the room now, Stephanie behind him. "What's going on in here?"

"We were just praying for your dad." She responded.

"Rachel, Quinn and i are taking it in turns." Mercedes added. "We're from different denominations and religions, so we figured one of us is bound to be right."

Stephanie stood completely silent, her eyes meeting Finn's for a split second.

"I didn't ask you to do this."

Kurt's mom spoke. "Honey, i know you're upset about what's happening, i get it, but friends help out, even when you don't ask."

A woman, dressed in white, was attempting to get past Stephanie, who moved out of the way to allow her to.

"Mr. Kurt Hummel?"

"Dude, why didn't you just tell us you wanted to pray in Muslim?" Finn asked him.

"I'm not Muslim, i'm a Sikh."

Stephanie mentally facepalmed, feeling strong second hand embarrassment for the boy.

"She's going to see if acupuncture will improve the circulation in my dads brain. Amazingly, needles pierce the skin better than psalms. Can you all please leave now." Kurt spoke. "Stephanie, stay please."

She nodded and everyone else got up to leave. Finn stopped as he was about to pass Stephanie and smiled at the girl. "I know how much you've been helping Kurt through this, so i wanted to thank you. I think you're awesome, Steph."

Stephanie smiled in return and gave the boy a quick hug. She was a huge hugger, if you couldn't tell. He hugged her back before giving her his signature dopey side smile and leaving.

~~~~

"I know things have been pretty morose around here this past week, but i want to celebrate some good news for our little family." Mr Shue said. "Let's hear it for Finn on getting back his quarterback job and leading the Titans to a win in their second game of the season."

A scattered applause broke out, Stephanie sat there and rolled her eyes.

"Yeah, and leading my brother to a dislocated shoulder." She snarked at him.

Finn avoided her gaze, feeling guilty.

"Yeah too bad that Sam kid had to have his arm basically ripped off for it to happen, but it's good to have you back in the saddle, brother." Puck added, looking towards Finn.

He just nodded slightly. Stephanie sat with her arms crossed, until Santana reached over, pulling one of the blondes hands into her lap and playing with it.

Kurt made his way to the front of the class. "Mr Shue, if i may?"

"Yeah."

"Um," He steadied himself. "I wanted to thank everyone for your kind emails and queries about my dad, but for your information, his condition stays the same. I'd also like to thank Stephanie and her family, for being so welcoming and kind this week. You've been there for me every step of the way, so thank you."

Stephanie sent him a grateful smile and nodded, not noticing Santana grinning at her.

Santana leaned over to Stephanie's ear to whisper to her. "I'm so proud of you."

The girl looked towards her with a smile, their eyes remaining locked until Kurt carried on speaking.

"I need to express myself, so with your permission Mr Shue, i've prepared a number for the occasion."

"Of course, Kurt." He replied, travelling to a seat near the back of the room.

"On the day of my mom's funeral, when they were lowering her into the ground, i was crying. I mean, that was it. It was the last time i was ever going to see her, and i remember i looked up at my dad and i, i just wanted him to say something, just something to make me feel like my whole world wasn't over, and he just took my hand and squeezed it. And just knowing that those hands were there to take care of me, that was enough. This is for my dad."

A stray tear rolled down Stephanie's cheek as she sent the boy a reassuring smile once he'd finished the song.

He sniffled and wiped his face, but eventually returned it.

~~~~

"I thought we couldn't sing songs about religion" Tina was the first to speak after a short awkward silence.

"Evidently," Mercedes sassed. "We can't sing about faith, but we can sing about losing faith?"

"That's what i wanted to talk about today." Mr Shue stood. "Well, earlier in the week, Finn, it seemed like you felt differently."

"Well, i used to think God was up there looking over me." Finn responded. "Now i'm not so sure."

He stuffed his hands into his pockets.

"Um, i also wanted to apologise to you, Stephanie, for basically being the reason your brother's arm destroyed"

She let out a little laugh and stood up walking over to him.

"I wasn't mad, you dork. Now come here." She said, opening her arms up.

He smiled at her before accepting and wrapping his arms around her back in a tight hug.

Both Rachel and Santana watched the interaction with a hint of jealousy.

"What if God was one of us?
Just a slob like one of us
Just a stranger on the bus
Trying to make his way home
Trying to make his way home"