In Crackerbox Palace

My father got home late from work, he came in to kiss me then went to his and my mother's room like always. I waited until I heard them both snoring, then I slipped on my boots and snuck out the back door.

It seemed easier to find Crackerbox Palace in the dark than in the light. I was using my heart more than my eyes. I had never seen the outside at night, it looked a bit haunting. The only lights that were on were one in a window on the second story and one lighting up the sign that said "Welcome to Crackerbox Palace." I carefully walked up to the front door and opened it.

Would he be asleep?

Did he even sleep?

Do vampires sleep?

I walked up to Mr. Harrison's room, I knew the light had to be coming from there. But no, it was coming from what had been my room. I slowly opened the door and saw him sitting on the edge of my bed, staring out the window.

"Mr. Harrison?"

He didn't look at me.

"I met with Paul today. He says hello."

I was scared to approach him.

Was he angry?

Would he attack me if I got too close?

Was I over thinking all of this?

"Mr. Harrison?"

He looked up at me and I could see he had been crying. "I didn't mean to scare you, Wynnie, I swear."

Seeing him so sad made me sad, I felt like I was going to cry too.

"It's alright, I was just taken by surprise." I sat down next to him.

"What did Paul say?"

"Not much, really."

"Did he tell you that I'm a monster?"

I shook my head. "Of course not. Even if he did, that's utter bullshit."

He smiled a bit. My stomach rumbled, complaining about the long amount of time I had gone without eating. It didn't twist anymore, and my headache seemed to be gone. I felt oddly calm, more calm that I had felt in days.

"I've got some food down stairs. You sound hungry."

He held out his hand and I hesistated before taking it. He led me down stairs and to the kitchen. He watched me while I ate in silence, he seemed to be holding his breath. I glanced at him a few times, slightly uncomfortable.

"How's the garden?" I asked, desperate to get rid of the awkward silence between us.

He shrugged. "It's doing fine. Spring is coming soon, so I'm expecting some fresh flowers soon. I think you'll really like them."

I looked down at my half finished food. "I'm sure I will..."

George reached towards me to tuck a strand of my hair behind my ear, causing me to flinch away from him. I heard him let out a loud exhale.

"You're scared of me, Wynnie. Why?"

I shook my head. "You're mistaken, Mr. Harrison."

"What exactly did Paul say to you? Don't you dare lie to me. He spooked you in some way."

I knew couldn't keep it from him. "He told me you were dangerous, that you couldn't control yourself."

He looked away, frowning as he usually did. "I would never hurt-"

"He said you hurt people that you love. Mr. Harrison, I'm just-"

"Why do you call me that?"

"Call you what?"

"Mr. Harrison. Why not just George?"

"I don't know, it's just a bit more formal."

"Are we not close?"

I started to eat my food again. "I suppose so..."

"You don't trust me, huh?"

"It's not that I don't trust you, I just don't know you."

"What do you want to know?"

I didn't really have an answer. "Paul... said you hurt people."

"A long, long time ago!" He buried his face in his hands. "I might've attacked Ringo once, but that was nothing." He paused. "And Jane, and Paul, and John..."

"Who's Jane?"

He shook his head. "Not important."

"Mr. Har- George, look at this from my point of view. I don't want to die."

He looked at me with the most pained look I had ever seen. "Why would I kill you? I've never..."

He trailed off, his eyes dropping to the floor. I stood up, meaning to run to the door and get the hell out of there, but he caught my arm.

"Wait-"

"Mr. Harrison, I don't feel comfortable here anymore, what's so hard to understand?"

"What can I do to fix it?"

I shook my head. "Learn to control yourself, I don't know!"

"I have! Have I ever attacked you?"

"We've known each other for three days!"

He sighed and held my forearms in his cold hands. "Wynnie, I swear to you. I will never harm a single hair on your precious head. And if I do, which I won't, you have every right to run away and never see me again."

I looked up into his dark brown eyes, so mysterious and hypnotising. "Ok."

He pulled me towards him into a tight hug, then quickly pushed me away. "You should go." He said, he seemed short of breath.

I was confused. I knew I hadn't put on perfume, but I hadn't done any physical activity. Surely I couldn't smell so bad that he didn't want to hug me.