I Welcome You

I'm not a rebellious child, I never sneak out or go behind my parents' backs. Even if I did want to see Mr. Harrison again, I wasn't going to do it against my mother's orders. So, I went into town to walk around and go window shopping. I told myself I wasn't going to buy anything, but then I saw the most adorable blue and white sundress, I couldn't keep my eyes off of it. The check out lady helped my work out the money very patiently, and I left the store with my new dress in the bag. As I exited the store, I was tucking the receipt into my pocket, I ran straight into someone.

"Oh- I'm so sorry-"

I bent down to pick up the bag and accidentally touched hands with the stranger, I pulled my hand away.

"My bad."

I stood up and locked eyes with a bloke who looked like he was in his late 20s. His jet black hair was pushed away from his face that was mostly obscured by a matching black beard. He had big brown-green eyes with thick, long lashes and high arched eyebrows.

"Sorry, miss." He picked up the bag and handed it to me.

"It's alright, I should've watched where I was going."

I rushed past him and straight home. Great, I've lived here for three days and I've already made a fool of myself. I checked my watch and saw that it was already 6:30pm, the sun was beginning to go down. When I got home, I put on my dress to show mother, she loved it.

"Be sure to show your father when you get home!"

"What time will he be home?"

She glanced at her watch. "Maybe about an hour. Tell me about your day, did you meet any new friends?"

I thought of the man I bumped into, did he count? "Yeah, uh, I met a man with a beard. He was nice."

She smiled at me and patted my shoulder. "You'll have to bring him around sometime."

I rolled my eyes. "It's not like that, we only met briefly."

An hour later, my dad did return, and he liked my dress as well.

"After I turn in my application tomorrow, can I go to the woods?"

Mother shrugged. "It's fine with me."

She glanced at my father who nodded.