¤ Chapter Four ¤

Word Count: 2652 (short again)

KIRAN:

The city was mind-blowing.

People moved from shop to shop. The cobblestone streets lined with people and vendors. There were shops that sold medicines, some that sold clothing, others that sold weapons. The diversity of the people shocked the healer. Several children ran past, laughing and smiling. Adult fae watched them with grins on their faces. It was a city full of happiness and love.

Beside Kiran, Azriel had begun walking down the street. The healer jogged to catch up with him, "What is this place? It looks so peaceful."

"This is Velaris, the City of Starlight." Azriel had a wishful look on his face. He loved this city. It was the one place he felt like he belonged, though the citizens were still scared of him. Azriel pulled on a pair of gloves to cover his scars. He had always gotten strange looks towards them, that made him uncomfortable to walk around most days. The people had gotten use to them, but still stared.

"Where are we going?" Kiran asked. He didn't fail to notice Azriel covering up his hands. He frowned, Why would he cover them up? They're beautiful and dangerous, just like the one who bears them, He tried to not question it too much.

"My house." Azriel said.

They walked down the streets, passing people who gave strange looks towards the healer walking easily beside the spymaster. It wasn't a normal sight. The shadowsinger was rarely seen walking with someone who wasn't a part of the Inner Circle. Children pointed, asking their parents why Kiran was here. Some older females whispered among themselves. Azriel and Kiran finally arrived outside an apartment building. The shadowsinger led the way up the stairs to his apartment, which he opened the door and ushered Kiran inside.

The apartment was smaller than what was to be expected for a member of the Rhysand's Inner Circle. Several hooks were by the door with a few cloaks and gloves hung neatly. Two other pairs of shoes tucked beneath the coats. In front of them was the kitchen, not a crumb of food in sight, not a thing out of place. The dining room consisted of a wooden table with two chairs and a vase filled with blue hydrangeas. A painting of a dark-haired woman with brown eyes and a kind expression. She was the spitting image of Azriel. To the left of the entranceway, it opened into a small living room, with a couch and table. The walls lined with bookshelves and books. The bedroom was in a small hallway off the living room, with an adjoining bathroom. Overall, the apartment was clean and orderly, not a thing out of place.

It was then that Azriel realized he only had one bed.

Azriel cleared his throat, "I only have one bed, so I'll take the couch," He didn't miss the red tinge on Kiran's ears, "Unless you wanted to share." He leaned in close and whispered into the healer's ear. Kiran shivered, his face heating up.

Mother above, Kiran thought, This male will be the death of me.

He tried to not think of how close Azriel was to his neck. Or how his hot breath felt on his ear. Kiran wanted to grab the shadowsinger's face and kiss him roughly. He cleared his throat, "You take the bed, you're still recovering from the poison. I can sleep on the couch." He looked back, locking eyes with the spymaster.

Azriel shook his head, "I insist that you take the bed."

"Fine," Kiran placed his hands on his hips, "Which way?" Azriel pointed in the direction of his bedroom and Kiran walked towards the door, he opened it and stepped into the neatest room he has ever been in.

The walls were a bland beige, with dark wooden floors. The bed covered in white sheets and pillows, a small night table beside it. At the foot was a chest with a black blanket folded neatly atop it. A window let the sunlight stream through, a desk and chair angled towards the window. The desk was covered in precise piles of papers and writing utensils. An armoire was on the same wall as the door. Candles were evenly placed through the room. There were no clothes on the floor, not a thing out of place. Kiran almost felt bad for staying in the spymaster's room.