Chapter 7

I was never so mean – let alone crazy. At times, I would just go to my brother – expecting him to deal with my problems for me. Which was why boy problems were never such a big deal, but now since he's in college, I'm doomed.

    Glancing down, expecting to see notes, there were small words – words I didn't even know I had wrote. I frowned, seeing only 'Jesse' along most of it, with the adding of extra letters, so that it was more like 'Jessica'. On the side of the paper, there was also a rocket, with a stick figure attached to it...

    After I saw that, I knew I had problems.

    The history teacher droned on, talking most about the Civil War and famous documents that made impacts – though, in the back of the room, I was in my own bubble. While everyone wrote notes, I was drawing, conjuring up ways to get away with murder.

    I heaved a sigh. I was never going to get through high school like this, with a short temper and maniac mind taking over my life.

    Then again, I was never like this. Ever since Jesse enrolled in this school, I started to feel hate. Not the kind that someone would direct to a person who ditched them for new friends, but one that I was empowered to feel. Especially towards someone who didn't have a care in the world for the people they hurt– someone who had no worries, and got by easy.

    Jesse had it made, I give him that much, but that didn't mean he didn't have to feel.

    Minding my own business was far off now, since he was determined to bug me. And I couldn't bug him back, since he'd obviously take it the wrong way – a way I wasn't planning on heading.

    As weird as it sounded, I felt like the oddball – the only girl who resisted him. But that was off, since I knew more girls hated him like I did, they were just smarter, and kept a distance away from him.

    I felt idiotic, in the short two seconds it took for the bell to ring.

    When I walked out, I almost made an illegal U-turn in the hallway, determined to go back into class – any class.

        "You have a lot of nerve, don't you?" I asked, clutching my binder so I wouldn't attack.

    He smiled – one that made me think he was going to shove me against the lockers and go for the kill – and shrugged, almost as if my actions were no surprise to him. If he kept this up, my actions would sure surprise him – as well as the authorities...

        "I thought I'd be a gentleman for once, and walk a pretty girl to class."

    I snorted, knowing he was as far off to a gentleman as there was. He noticed my reaction and tilted his head, stepping in front of me to stop me from trying to bypass him. "You do think I'm a gentleman don't you?"

        "I would say yes, but...then I'd be lying."

    He didn't let me go around him, making me grow worried. "I think we would be great friends if you weren't so stubborn."

    I paused, eying him doubtfully. "Elaborate on the 'great', since you and I obviously have different meanings."

    His curious expression fell, making it seem like he was more annoyed than I was. "This is why you don't have much friends."

        "This is why I hate you."

    He squinted his eyes, leaning forward – speaking fluently, since the halls were crowded and talking was hard to do. "I doubt that."

        "Doubt all you want, it doesn't change the fact that it's the truth."

    For the first time since I actually started talking to him, he was the one showing impatience. "You know, 'hate' is such a strong word."