Chapter 15

If another girl stuck their whole mouth into a pound of cotton candy in front of Jesse one more time, I was going to grab the hammer on the whack-a-mole machine and go maniac on all of them.

    No kidding.

    Some had whipped their head in the wind rapidly also, but it seemed as if their hair was falling out – since a few strands flew past me, which went to show that they were trying harder than they should. Another item that had flown past me was a ring from a bottle game – considering that the game was nowhere near where Jesse and I were, I guessed it was on purpose.

    I debated on grabbing the hammer again, but let it go since I wouldn't want any assault charges before the age of eighteen.

    But after I was eighteen...now that was a different story.

    I also noticed the girls around me were growing inconspicuous as the time passed, and only threw Jesse winks when I wasn't looking. I caught one of those girls doing it, and when she had looked back at me, she cowered away and made it a point to look down.

    In the bathroom, I took a deep breath, willing myself to gather any courage and walk back out. I knew Jesse was waiting out there – and only God knew how many girls have approached him while he was by himself.

    I flinched.

    But if he tried this hard to get me out of the house, then I was sure he wouldn't get me pissed off by swapping saliva with someone behind my back – especially while I was hiding out in the girl's bathroom.

    Don't be a coward; if you stay he'll assume he makes you nervous.

    I swallowed the lump in my throat, repeating in my head that this wasn't a date – and I shouldn't be worried about anything. A girl tossed her purse in the sink beside me, and leaned over to the mirror to clear up her eyes. There was nothing even wrong with her eyes, so I knew a conversation was boiling up as soon as she glanced at me in the reflection of the mirror.

        "You're here with Jesse, aren't you?"

    I looked down – feeling like an utter idiot at how she said it. "Yeah."

    She clicked her tongue, shaking her head slightly. "You know he's only using you for one thing, right?" I had to look at her directly after that. "He's going to act like you're important today, but all he's planning is to get you back to your house."

    Don't even think about it Carson – no criminal charges until eighteen...

        "And hey, maybe if you're lucky he'll make you give it up at his house." My temper sparked.

    I turned fully, sending her my most pristine lady-like look. "Just because you gave it up, doesn't mean I am."

    She froze in front of the mirror, looking at me as if she saw a ghost.

    I smiled, which was scary as to how I wasn't glaring at all, and turned off the sink in front of me and walked out.

    Wow, you handled that well. Short-tempered, maniac-thinking Carson would have drowned her in the toilet by now.

    My eyes widened at that, but when I reached Jesse, I eased up – but couldn't stop wondering if what the girl said was true.

    What was he planning, really?

    I lounged against the short fence beside him – overlooking a humongous ride that was going back and forth, with the words 'The Hammer' engraved on the side.