Chapter 24

"I'm doomed."

    Katrina turned to me, a sympathetic expression on her face. "Jesse again?"

    I shook my head.

        "Not right now at least. But how does this stupid teacher expect me to write this stupid essay on this stupid topic, when I haven't even learned this stupid subject yet?" I pushed the paper away from me, letting out a huff and crossing my arms. "This is all stupid."

    She laughed, looking over the paper's topic. "Um, maybe you should have paid attention in class. This was taught about a week ago."

    I let my gaze drift off, trying to remember what I had done that would make me distracted from class.

    Oh right. The remarkable stick drawings of Jesse dying.

    Not worth failing my class, that's for sure.

    I leaned forward, pulling one of the books in front of me, opening it with a cynical edge in my eyes. "What's the point of studying? I'm going to fail either way."

    Katrina sighed, and I noticed that she started to gather her belongings. After being in the public library, more than enough hours after school, even I would want to leave. "I would stay and help, but I have to go babysit my neighbor's kids. No cheating, Carson."

    I waved her off, shooting detesting glares at the books in front of me. I tossed the one I had away, and picked up an aged looking one. Sinking back in my chair, I started skimming through the words.

    What I learned from doing that, was that Christopher Columbus was definitely an explorer...and George Washington was definitely a president.

    It was like I was in middle school all over again.

    In front of me, I saw something had moved. I tried to pass it off as a person merely walking by, but whoever it was, pulled the chair out across from me and sat down. I was a bit hesitant when I glanced up to see who it was, but when I eventually did, a pair of navy blue eyes pierced mine. I held back a scowl at the sight of him.

    He spoke before I could tell him to go away, like he always did. "We need to talk."

    I pursed my lips, looking back down at the book in my hands. "Then talk."

        "What's our relationship status? Just for the records, since I'm confused."

    I let my eyes dart up to him as I spoke. "Friends."

    He leaned forward, his eyes boring into mine. "I thought I made it clear that I didn't want to be friends, Carson."

    I stared at him for a second, and then slammed the book shut. I noticed the noise made him grimace, and make the severe expression snap away in an instant. "Then don't let the door hit you on the way out."

    With that said, I stood up from the table, and walked up to the bookcase beside me – stuffing the book where it seemed to fit best.

        "Ya' know, you being so stubborn is kind of a turn off."

    I glanced at him over my shoulder. "That's good, because I had no intention on turning you on in the first place."

    Once, that had been my intention, but of course – it had never been a mission I had wanted to accomplish.

    He heaved a sigh, leaned his head back, and raised his hands up to his forehead. "God, you're so annoying."

     I grabbed the biggest book from the bookcase, and stomped over in front of him. Just as I slammed the book down on the table, he jerked back in the chair and met my eyes with abrupt quickness.