not butterflies

╔════════════════════╗
N O T  B U T T E R F L I E S
╚════════════════════╝

"you did not just-"

"pay twenty dollars for parking? yes i did." hyunjin scooped up his fluffy dog out of the back seat before placing him on the cracked cement and clipping on his leash. "i said we'd go walking around the city, right? i'm making it happen. it's your first date with me, i have to make a good impression."

jeongin smiled widely at the thought of the elder paying so much for parking just for them to walk around and get food.

"that's fine, at least it's not raining."

"don't jinx it."

the two boys made their way through the streets of seattle, talking about random things, stopping when kkami would approach a person or a person would approach the adorable dog. jeongin was so ecstatic to be out and about after being in his stuffy apartment- that and hyunjin promised a day of fun and food.

"how about we get to know each other better? might as well since we're going to be around each other at work." hyunjin said, giving kkami more slack letting the dog walk ahead of them.

"okay, ask some questions!"

"hmm okay.. have any pets?"

"nope, our apartment complex doesn't let us have any pets." the boy with braces let a pout pull at his lips. "our family didn't have much time for one at home either." jeongin can remember begging his parents for a puppy or even a cat.

"ah, that's unfortunate.. maybe you'll get one in the future?" hyunjin couldn't imagine not growing up with his small puppers, kkami was his fluffy baby and would be his playmate since he had no siblings growing up and his parents weren't too keen on having his friends over.

"doubt it," the younger sighed heavily before continuing. "i'll be stuck in that apartment my whole life if i don't get a higher paying job.. plus i have school to pay for."

"ugh, i feel you.." hyunjin cringed at the thought of paying off his student loans and rent. moving in to the city not too long ago really tested his independence despite living with his best friend. not to mention paying for kkami's dog food and literally anything else.

"is it my turn to ask a question?"

"ask away."

"favorite book author? of any genre." the younger smiled his toothy smile that stretched across his face, turning his foxy eyes into crescents.

the elder couldn't help but feel warm inside and for the feeling of comfort wash over him other than the flutter of butterflies tickling at his insides. odd. "you sure love books, dont you?" hyunjin thought that was really endearing that the younger absolutely loved books. not many people chose to appreciate literature like jeongin did.

"mhm! now answer the question." the fox-like boy pushed impatiently, genuinely interested in his date's answer.

hyunjin thought for a couple moments "i don't think i have a favorite author right now." before the younger could pout, he ruffled the boy's hair "but you can always recommend me some authors."

really? he'd listen?

"really?! no one ever listens to my recommendations."

"that's really sad, bub."

"shut up."

after the two had their lunch, it was another walking around for like an hour. it was nice though, kkami was tired so hyunjin decided to leave the sleepy pup in the car, it was much cooler than the hot cement.

now that it was sunset and things were cooling down, the boys made their way to the bright ferris wheel. the date had been going great. it wasn't awkward one bit and both the boys were enjoying themselves every minute they spent together.

"wow, it's always pretty here during sun down." jeongin made sure to stay close to the elder, not wanting to get separated in the thick crowds of people. "oh- one time i got lost here, i was chasing a pigeon and lost my parents."

"really? it must've been scary."

"yeah, i don't do too great with crowds." with that, hyunjin felt obligated to protect the younger boy. he swiftly took jeongin's hand into his, interlocking their fingers.

"look, now you won't get lost."

the younger felt his face heat up and flush a light, creamy pink. it wasn't the hand holding itself that made him blush, but the thoughtful action. hyunjin didn't know all too much about him yet he felt as if he needed to protect him and make him feel as comfortable as possible. the fox boy squeezed the other's hand with a shy smile tugging at his lips.

what about the simple action of hand holding made the boy feel butterflies? was it even butterflies?? no, it was different. it was just hand holding yet it made him feel so safe as if his whole body was wrapped in a warm, blanket of comfort.

that's what it is, comfort.

it made him feel so comfortable, not awkward and blushy or giddy when your crush compliments you. it was different? none of the romance books he's read described hand holding like this. he can't possibly have a crush yet.

and he doesn't. this isn't how it feels.

was he doing it wrong? was he supposed to be feeling this way so early into their friendship? did he not like it? no, jeongin loved it so why is this so different? it's not love that he feels.

security. that's what he felt.

looking up at hyunjin, he took in his features, the little mole under his left eye that he could barely make out was covered by makeup in attempt to hide it. why? it's such a special part of him.

wow, he looked gorgeous under the purple and blue lights of the ferris wheel and various other light up signs that casted filter-like colors on his skin and dark hair.

the words repeated in his mind like a broken record player. hyunjin cared.

all he could do was smile and confidently walk through the bustling crowd hand in hand with hyunjin.

five minutes ago he would feel as if he was suffocating in the large crowd of strangers.

but he has hyunjin, he's special.