10

Aster released the knuckle-whitening grip on her steering wheel after parking in the driveway of Fallon's home. So Fallon's home was clearly bigger than the apartment she had to share with her father. There was more charm and character just looking in the outside. It seemed to invite her in in a way she couldn't quite describe. This boggled Aster's mind for a moment as she was extremely nervous about having dinner with Fallon and his family. She and Fallon weren't even in a relationship. Friends? Maybe. Acquaintances? Aster nodded to herself confirming she agreed with that. She was having dinner with an acquaintance and his parents. With that at the forefront of her mind, Aster stepped out of her car. Her bright white Vans guided her up to the front door where she raised a hand to ring the doorbell.

Fallon awaited this moment all day. He hardly slept the night before knowing Aster agreed to come over for dinner. He made sure his room was nice and tidy. Well, his mother did. Fallon couldn't do much with limited mobility due to his injuries. He practically begged his mother to help him clean. It wasn't like he was going to bring a girl in there. It was solely for the purpose of the house tour he wanted to take Aster on.

Speaking of Aster, he'd been peeping out the window often to see if she arrived. When he saw she was at the front door, he clamored over to it and opened it up before she could ring the bell. And there she was. The girl who took his laptop. He opened his mouth to greet her, but his eyes looked her over. Even in a simple taupe-colored tee layered with a forest green cardigan, black skinny jeans, and clean white shoes... she was stunning. Her red-stained lips were moving...

"Uh... Fallon?" After questioned again and lifted a hand to wave in front of his face. A nervous laugh escaped as she waited for him to react. It was a little nippy outside and she couldn't feel the warmth radiating from inside the house.

Fallon rapidly blinked out of his trance and was brought back to reality by the feeling of her hand on his arm. "Oh! Um, hey. You made it," he chuckled and leaned against his crutch. He could have stayed there all day talking with her, but his mother knew that was not the way to make a guest feel welcomed.

"I am so sorry about that, Aster," Mrs. Andrews sighed in embarrassment while letting the young lady into the house. "Fallon has been so absentminded lately, but I hope his mind joins us for dinner in a bit."

"Mom..." Fallon had no shame in whining to his mother for saying that about him. He wasn't totally absentminded. He had the pain meds to blame and now Aster showed up looking so... pretty.

"It's alright," Aster reassured her as she stepped into the warmth of the house. Her eyes scanned her surroundings and picked up all the character within the space. Whoever did the interior designing of the house succeed in making the house feel like a home. Aster didn't even live there, but she felt as if the home was hers. Oh, how she longed for that. Maybe dinner would refresh her.

—————
Dinner went better than Aster expected. Fallon's parents were wonderful people. There was no arguing. The love between them didn't seem forced like she was accustomed to witnessing with her parents. There was a refreshing sense of genuine peace in the home. Aster wasn't quite sure she wanted to leave just yet. She felt so comfortable talking to Fallon and his family in the setting.

"Thank you for having me tonight. I really needed this," Aster told his parents first. "And thank you for extending the invitation, Fallon." She offered him a content smile as his mother cleared the dishes from table. "Oh! I can help with this, Mrs. Andrews."

"No need to worry, Aster. This one is an easy cleanup. Thank you for the offer, though. It was a pleasure having you over, sweetie."

"Uh, do you have to leave right now?" Fallon inquired. "I was hoping you could stick around for a quick house tour." His voice fluctuated in uncertainty.

An he was right in being uncertain because Aster did have to get going. She had an early class and homework to finish. The hopeful look in Fallon's eyes was hard to deny, but Aster did her best to stand her ground.

"How about another time? Maybe? I mean, I'll call you and set up another time we can hang out," Aster suggested and bit her lip after speaking. She hoped that didn't come off as standoffish and rude, but she really did have to go.

Fallon nodded in understanding and stood up with his crutches. So she was willing to hang out with him again. It wasn't a total loss if he got to see her some time soon.

"Sounds good to me." He led her over to the front door after she bid his parents another goodbye. He noticed how easily she could along with her parents. But they were just friends or something close to that.
"I'll uh... catch you later."

"Definitely," Aster confidently replied with a laugh. "Again, thanks for inviting me. Life was getting kinda crazy and I needed this." She stepped before to give him a quick embrace. Acquaintances did that, right? Nothing wrong with a hug? Right...?

Fallon returned the hug, but she pulled away before he could really enjoy it. He managed to get a whiff of her hair, though. There was a soft scent of vanilla. Oh, he could get used to that.

"I get that," Fallon laughed and reached around her to open the front door. "You're welcomed over pretty much any time. My mom seems to like you a lot so..."

Aster didn't know what to make of his statement as she stepped out of the house, but she laughed along anyway so things wouldn't be awkward. "I'll see you later, Fallon."

He watched her walk off to her car, and he didn't go inside until her car turned onto another street and was out of sight. Goodness, he couldn't wait to see her again. There was something about her.