6

Fallon's mother looked at Aster, then her hospitalized son.

"Oh, I hope I'm not interrupting anything," she said and pulled up another hair to his bedside. She took her son's hand and gently ran her thumb across his knuckles. Once again, she nearly lost her only child. It was hard enough brining him into the world and it was evidently hard to keep him in it. This was not the first time he was in the hospital, but it hit just as hard.

"No, ma'am. I was... just about to leave," Aster nervously laughed and stood up from her seat. "He needs rest and you need time with him." There was no way she was going to meet his parents so soon. Well, it was just his mother, so far. They were no where near officially dating. It was one date the ended...horribly.

Fallon shook his head as best he could. Movement was minimal since he wore a neck brace. "You don't need to leave. You just got here, angel face," he chimed in and lifted a hand to reach for hers. The morphine was making him a bit...bold.

Aster looked at his hand, thinking he wanted a high-five, and gave him one. He made it clear he wanted to hold her hand by intertwining their fingers. Any chance he got to hold hands with an angel, he was going to take it. Even if it meant doing that in front of his mother and making the girl blush profusely.

"Um... Fal, she has to get going. I'm sure she will visit another time," his mother said and gently pulled the young man's hand away from Aster. That earned her a sour pout from her son and a silent 'thank you' from the girl.

"Mom..." Fallon whined and closed his eyes. "You're ruining my chances..." His mind drifted from the girl to the hunger he was experiencing. All the medications the doctors had him on made his mind a bit foggy.
"Can you get me some jello? The red one, please. And the green one."

Aster and his mother exchange glances. It was definitely time for her to go while she could. Before Aster left, she gave her number to Fallon's mother and asked her to keep her updated on his condition. She felt so guilty about what happened and wanted to make it up any way she could.

"Fallon, your mom has my number. I guess... we'll talk when you get out." Aster walked up to his bedside and placed her hand on top of his. Her eyes study his face with all its bandages and stitches. The longer she stared, the more her heart sank.

Fallon barely opened his eyes after Aster finished speaking. Sleep was calling his name again, but he felt her hand on his. A smile gradually melted onto his lips prior to them parting so he could speak.
"Okay, angel face. Don't let the door hit you on your cute—"

"Fallon Andrews," his mother interrupted in warning. "Don't even think about finishing that sentence." She turned to Aster with a shake of her head. Her son usually wasn't like that and she hoped Aster remembered that.

His behavior was the least of Aster's concern. As she left the hospital, all she could think about was the accident. She felt as though it was her fault it happened. If she never suggested the movie theater... If she never took his laptop... If she never went to the coffee shop...