7

It was Sunday and Aster found herself seated in front of a small classroom setting reading an old story to a group of children. It was the classic story of the Good Samaritan.

"So why did the people walk around him?" a little one blurted out in the middle of her reading.

Aster looked up at the child with a kind smile. She preferred them raising their hands, but she could tell that question must have been a burning one. It wasn't that long ago she was in his position, so curious about the stories she heard from her own Sunday School teacher.

"Well, they didn't want to get dirty while helping him out," she explained to him and any other child wondering the same thing. She knew there was more to the story, but their little minds could not comprehend.

"That's mean!" another child chimed in.

"Yeah! The man needs their help!" said another.

Aster quieted them down and went on to read the story to reveal to them that someone did come to help the injured man. The children quite liked that part of the story and their smiles were contagious.

"Have you ever helped someone who was hurt, Ms. Aster?" a little girl inquired. She looked up at the young woman with the brightest eyes and a hopeful grin.

That question, though seemingly simple, hit a soft spot in Aster's heart. The smile she wore slightly faded, but she mustered the strength to answer.

"Um... yes, I have. I helped someone a few days ago." She hoped that was enough for the little girl, but she should have known better.

"What happened?" the child further pressed. She came up closer to Aster and climbed into her lap.

Aster held the little girl before deeply sighing. She was going to need another dose of caffeine after this. Why did children have to ask so many questions?

"He... got hurt, so I had to go to the hospital with him. I think he's getting better, though."

"Oooo!" another little girl squealed. "Is he your boyfriend? My sister has a boyfriend! He always comes over and takes me to get ice cream!"

Before Aster could react, her friend swooped in to save the day. She got the rowdy children settled again and out on a show for them to watch. It was amazing what talking vegetables could do.

Aster let the little girl down and sent her off to sit with her own companions.

"Thanks, Heather," she sighed in utter relief. The kids meant well, but that question got a little too personal for her.

"Hey, are you alright? I can finish up if you need to get going." Heather and Aster were extremely close, so Aster previously explained the whole situation with Fallon to her the day after the incident.

Aster checked the time on her phone as Heather offered to help. The church service going on was about to end. Getting a head start home before the church parking lot "rush hour" would be helpful.

"Thank you so much, Heather," she said and hugged her friend tight. "Lunch date on me this week. I'll text you."

"It's not a problem. See you in community group on Tuesday!"

"Uh... yeah," Aster said while grabbing her things. She didn't know about going to community group that week. It already took half her energy getting out of bed that morning.

Aster told her students goodbye before heading out. There was too much on her mind again. Well, one person, but it was all too much.