4

Fallon stood outside the cinema with his date. They didn't utter a word to each other since the little incident occurred, but the awkwardness was almost tangible. Fallon was not fond of it in the slightest.

"Tonight was um... It was nice," he nervously chuckled and scratched the back of his head. Why did it feel like one of those first dates during high school?

"Again, I'm really sorry about what happened," the girl quickly spoke up just in case he had a 'but' to follow up with his first statement.

Fallon's expression softened at her apology as he stuck his hands in the pockets of his jeans. She was quite flustered and he couldn't help but feel as though the tables had turned. Just earlier in the week he had been in her position... kinda. She had left him dumbfounded with her bravery in the coffee shop.

"Not the first time it's happened, but I know you didn't mean it." Fallon cracked a small smile at her and lightly nudged her in hopes of lightening the mood.

"I promise it won't happen next time."

"Next time?" Was she implying...?

"I-I mean if you want there to be a... next time. Totally get it if you don't. Who wants to hangout with someone who gets all...handsy?"

"Well..." Fallon began to say as he pretended there were quite a few people who wouldn't have minded. The sad thing was, he could name majority of his friend group. He needed new friends.
"I will consider there being a next time under one condition."

"I'm listening," the girl laughed and folded her arms over her chest. What did he have in mind?

"You. Me. Exchange numbers."

"I thought you'd never ask, Fallon." The girl winked at him before taking her phone from her back pocket to collect his phone number. She did expect him to ask back at the coffee shop. She settled for not giving out her number unless he truly wanted it.

The two take a brief moment to exchange numbers, but she still doesn't reveal her name to him. Instead, she put a smirking emoji where her name should have been.

"Maybe I'll tell you my name if there is a next time." The girl looked up at him with a mischievous glint in her eyes and then she did the lip biting thing that Fallon had a severe weakness for.

Luckily, he was able to control himself with the clearing of his throat.

"Have it your way, Ms. Mysterious. I'll text you the details sometime next week."

Fair enough. The girl nodded signaling she accepted his terms and conditions. She was screaming on the inside about the highly possible second outing, but she kept her cool on the outside.

"Seeing as my work here is done, I should head home," she said and lazily saluted Fallon. That teasing smile never left her lips.

"It's always business with you. Isn't it?"

"It's what I do, Fallon." And with that, she walked off to her car and left Fallon to watch her.

He could only laugh and shake his head at her. She was something else and he thought she knew how to play her cards right. He was already thinking the next place they could go. He thought about it on the way to his car, driving out of the parking lot, and at the red light he stopped at on the main road. He even thought about it as the light turned green for him to go through the intersection and it was the last thing on his mind before it happened.

His date was in the other lane since she had to turn in another direction to get home. She witnessed it all happen, too.

Fallon had the right of way, but the other driver did not. The driver seemed to have a lot on his mind, thoughts of how much fun he had at the party he was just at. They were thoughts of an overconfident driver under the influence of liquid courage. Oh, he thought he could take on the world. In the process, he just about took out Fallon when their cars collided.

All the girl could do was sit there and watch it all happen.