Emms

I hear a low knock on the door of my bedroom, and I put the pillow over my head. I can hear the voice of Sam and Dr. A outside calling me in a soft voice. I groan and don't respond back. All this confusion and thinking. And all these worries and anger makes me awfully tired, so I decided to stay in bed.

Now it's that stupid voice again. "Good morning Emms..." I block her out once she starts telling me what my blood pressure and all the body things are doing this morning. I press the pillow harder on my head.

Sam's voice is louder and he's pounding on the door now. I sit up and yell at him to go away. I can hear low whispers behind the door and after a moment I hear them walk away.  I lay back down with a smile now that the voice has sensed my anger and has shut up.

When I slowly start to fall asleep again, I feel someone shaking me gently. I open my eyes, and see Blake with a wide smile. This would've been a great time for that voice to warn me of someone coming in. I groan and cover my head with the blankets.  

"Oh C'mon!" Her giggles echo as she enters the bathroom. With a sigh, I get up.  As I enter the bathroom rubbing my eyes, Blake hands me an outfit she had chosen out and black shoes. I silently look at the clothes she puts in my hands and ask, "Why all of this?"

She smiles and says, "Hurry up and get ready for school. We're gonna be late." With the mention of school, her expression seems to fall for a split second but her energetic self comes back. She gives me a quick hug and walks out of the room.

I stand there in surprise. "School?"

"Yes," the voice says. "It is a time where young people go to learn and apply their findings to real life. It is open from Monday through Friday. On the weekend you can rest. It is open from seven in the morning to five in the afternoon."

I roll my eyes at the voice as I close the door of the bathroom. "Yes, I know. I'm not stupid."

How are we supposed to go to school already if we just got here yesterday?

I quickly brush my teeth and fix the mess of my hair. Light brown waves fall all over my face. I sigh in frustration and just brush my fingers through it. Amazingly, the messy waves in my hair neatly fall down on my shoulders. I smile at this miracle and quickly change. The walls around me are decorated in different graffitis. That's probably why I'm so tired. I spent most of the time decorating my walls like the voice suggested. With every stroke I made on the wall with my finger, I would watch in awe the way my walls turned into pixels to understand my drawings. That was the only thing I liked about this voice.

Once I'm done, I clean the room and look around for a clock. Remembering the voice, I say, "Hey! What time is it?"

Immediately the voice responds, "It's 7:40 am. November 30th."

"Damn it!" I quickly grab a sweater that happened to be on one of the sofas and run downstairs. I can hear the voice say, "Have a nice day Emms." I close the door behind me.

In the kitchen, Dr. A is making eggs and pancakes. When he sees me, he smiles and gives me a plate of eggs and hashbrowns. I find it odd that he decided to make breakfast when he can use the machine that makes any kind of meal in a certain amount of time. 

I quickly say, "Thank you," and walk to the table where Blake and Kat are already eating.

Kat gives me a smile and says, "Good morning."

"Morning." I quickly dig into my plate afraid that time might run faster than Blake's legs. 

Dan and Dom are on the other side of the table. They all share the same "enthusiasm" for school as Dan looks into squared glass and Dom tries not to fall asleep on his plate. Sam comes in and sits next to Kat. She gives him a small smile and softly says, "Good Morning."