***

I wake up in random intervals. Each time I come to, Dr. Roberts is always by my side checking on my health. And each time she pumps some medication into my tube which make me sleep. I lose track of time. However, I know I am slowly healing.

This time I wake up in a drab gray room. Dr. Roberts is nowhere around me. I'm not even in the hospital anymore. The air is cold and musty rather than a disinfective smell. I can feel the weight of the blankets on me. Hey, the bed is a lot more comfortable now.

Once again, I try to move. I realize that the huge bandaged casts are gone now. That means at least a month must have passed? I do have some bandages, but the injuries do not ache. However, the restraints remain around my waist, ankles, wrists and torso. I wonder how long I have been out. I survey the room that i am in, but cannot focus or concentrate. The room is plunged with darkness except for a slimmer of moonlight shining through a window to the side. I can faintly see trees and the night sky from where I'm resting. My head pounds sharply with each movement I make with my head. 

Ugh. I squeeze my eyes shut, hoping the pain will go away soon. Eventually, it subsides but I feel groggy all the same. 

"Shay," someone speaks up. I tense and look in the speaker's direction. I cannot see his features at all, not even his silhouette. He is hidden from sight in a dark corner. 

"It's been a while," the man whispers. His italian accent should bring fear to my body, but it does the opposite. I am pretty sure I do not recognize this voice. Judging from his voice alone, he is powerful, like he is used to ordering people and maintaining dominance. I can't really tell his age, but he sounds young. 

"I am Alfredo Acerbi," he introduces himself.

I really try my hardest to hold in my laughter, but I fail. A snort comes out shortly. "Like Alfredo sauce?" Augh, shut up Shay. 

He remains silent, which throroughly creeps me out. 

"I am of the Acerbi family. I trust you heard of that name, no?" His deep resonating voice could be fit for an advertisement announcer or something...just saying. It's just perfectly smooth and velvety. I itch to find out how he looks like. He might have the face to match his lovely voice.

"Acerbi...doesn't ring a bell," I shrug, which strains my shoulder. There's no sharp pain, but my body aches like an old granny. "Should it be of any importance? OH I know! Acerbic, that vocab word or something."

"You will learn when to shut that mouth of yours." He sighs impatiently but continues talking. "Do you not care for your life? You may not know about me, but I know a lot about you." 

Okay, this does bring a chill to my bones, or it's just a draft. Same thing.

"Well, do tell. I've been in the middle of nowhere for the past four years. I would appreciate it if you enlightened me with some new information," I say equally as calmly. "How about I get to know you?" I wink cheekily. "We can start with some face to face conversations right?"

He remains silent. He could be admiring my beauty, too awestruck to talk. I'm kidding. He's probably regretting he kidnapped the most agravating teenage girl ever to exist. I'm pretty good at testing people's patient. It takes skill and practice. 

"Well, you see," I hear the sound of a safety unlock and the coldness of his voice grow even colder. i would prefer not to be shot at. Bullets and me do not get along. "I'm in control. You've had your fun, but I advise you not to test my patience. I may need you alive, but I do not need you in one...piece." 

I nod perceptively. "yessir."

"Good girl," he chuckles with no warmness whatsover. 

"You have something I want. Something I will take by free will...or force if necessary," he places his gun on a drawer. I see his hand pop out of the shadows momentarily-a strong young hand.

"And I have no idea what you're talking about," I shake my head and try to glare at wherever his face should be in the shadows. "I don't even know anything about the Acerbi family." I truly have no idea what he wants. What does he want with me? I'm sure this has to do something with the Riccas, but I am no longer a part. 

"The Gagliardi family, Robustelli family, and Sapienti family are no more," he states. "It is only the Riccas and Acerbis." 

"And you're telling me this because..." I trail off. I am hit with a jolt of shock. Those three were part of the four main mafias in Europe and the Americas. No suprise, Ricca is the last one. Of the four, Ricca was and always has been the strongest, smartest, and most ruthless. I never quite liked Gagliardi and Robustelli but  I always had a soft spot for the Sapientis. The Sapienti were geniuses who did not resort to violence unless push came to shove. Still, that didn't excuse them of any of their shady dealings and heinous crimes. 

This does make things complicated. Hearing Alfredo's smug tone, I'm assuming he was the one who killed the other families or has taken over control. Most likely the Acerbis murdered them all; those three would not have went down easily.

"How'd you do it?" I finally say.

"They were getting old and careless." He states so nonchalantly.

"They would never slip so easily," I narrow my eyes.

"All it takes is a few strings tugged and pulled here and there," his tone is so unconcerned. He reminds me of someone I know who also seemed to act so composed and cruel.

"What is it you want?" 

"The skeleton key." 

"I don't have it." I automatically respond. "What is this key?"

"You have two days to hand it over willingly," he says before I hear a door open and shut.

"Thanks for answering my questions," I shout. Things just got a whole lot serious. 

First of all, nobody besides a Ricca,  or even someone in the circle of trust should know about the skeleton key. Also, nobody but a Ricca should know i have the key. Even more, nobody should know I'm even alive besides a Ricca. 

The skeleton key is the Skeleton Key. There's only one made, especially made for the Ricca I mean. It opens everything. To be specific, it is the only key that will unlock all the Ricca's files, savings, informations, connections....everything. 

And I have it. (Well, it's not in my current possesion thank goodness).

It's partly the reason why my father kind of wants to kill me, or why my brothers might still be hunting me down. My mom doesn't know I have it; she's not counted as a Ricca. She doesn't know the key exist. 

I don't know how and why Alfredo knows about this. 

To put this lightly, I am screwed to the max.