17

Yoshinori

“I’m so tired. I think I need to rest for a whole week.” Jihoon said, plopping himself on the couch. The operation took longer than what we wanted. I mean the post-operation did. We had to rock the van again and again just to wake up Jaehyuk who was sleeping soundly inside. We had to do that for fifteen minutes since he’s a heavy sleeper. Hyunsuk and Jihoon gave him an earful after he finally woke up and opened the doors.

“How did it go?” Jeongwoo came running from the stairs. He wasn’t able to come with us since they needed another person to stay behind to fight in case they suddenly attack the headquarter. Good thing that didn't happen.

“It was fine.” Haruto answered nonchalantly, walking to the kitchen to get himself a glass of water.

“What do you mean fine, hyung?” Junghwan exclaimed. “They tricked us. I can still remember the look on that bloodied joker. It was horrifying.”

“So they were also looking into us, huh.” I said. “I think Lee Minhyung and his gang are lurking on the shadows. They’re watching each and every move we make. I think they have people who are tailing us everywhere. If that is the case, then they’re actually good since we didn’t realize it sooner. Unless someone close to us is working for them. Unless, one of us is a traitor.”

“What?” Hyunsuk hyung looked at me sharply. I guess he didn’t like the words that came out of my mouth. Everyone else are also looking at me the same way. I laughed loudly.

“I was just joking guys. I know that’s impossible. We’ve been together through all these shits so I know none of us will turn into a fucking snitch. We’re brothers.” I said.

I put all my trust on them. Through everything that happened, they were the ones who got my back. We leaned on each other during bad times. We celebrated all our victories together. I can’t imagine one of us betraying that trust. I just know no one would.

“That wasn’t a funny joke, hyung.” Doyoung said sarcastically. He then hit me on the back of my head before plopping down beside Jihoon. I’m older than him but he just hit me like we’re same-aged friends.

“That’s not gonna happen right?” Hyunsuk hyung suddenly became serious. I want to mentally hit myself for putting out such a joke. Now everyone’s getting all worked out. I should have kept my mouth shut. “We made a promise to each other. We’ll be together until the end.”

We all fell silent after Hyunsuk hyung spoke. We all understand the fact that all we have left is each other. When the time comes that our identities as gang members are revealed, everyone will turn their backs on us. The people in school who would look at us like we’re gods will step back in fear. By then, we will only have Treasure. 

“Of course, that wouldn’t happen.” Junkyu said. “And if it does, then all hell will break loose.”

“Ha, why are we even talking about things that will not happen?” Asahi asked. “Do you know what we need to talk about right now?”

We all looked at him intently. Asahi is not the kind to suddenly open a topic so we all gave him our attention.

.
.
.
.

“When will we start reviewing? We have exams tomorrow.”

---

Now, we are all sprawled out on the living room busy cramming for the exams. We only have less than a day left. It’s almost six o’clock in the morning now and neither of us have gone to bed. Yes, we are gang members but that doesn’t mean that we neglect school. All of us are recognized as outstanding students and we don’t plan on abandoning those titles.

“I don’t get this.” Junghwan groaned in frustration. Jeongwoo who is sitting beside him scooted closer to check out on our youngest member.

“Wow, I don’t remember having this back when I was in your grade.” Jeongwoo said, scratching his head in confusion. “I’m sorry Junghwan, I can’t help you.”

I sighed and approached the two. “What’s the matter?”

“Hyung, do you know this?” He asked me. I looked at his book and checked the topic. It’s math. Among all the subjects, I hate math the most. It’s not that I do not excel on it but it’s because it takes so much time and energy from me.

“Wait. Let me figure this out.” I took his book from him and started analyzing the problems. It’s quite simple actually. I’m just bad at explaining things.

“I wish Mirae noona is here to help me with math.” Junghwan said loudly. I noticed that everyone else aside from Junghwan stopped what they were doing. They all looked at me with teasing look. I glared at them. Junghwan had to mention the girl who’s been making me crazy.

They continued teasing me when a knock on the door was heard.

“Are we expecting some visitors?” I asked them, now my alertness heightened.

“Nope.” Jaehyuk answered. We all looked at each other. We instantly pulled out our guns. It might be an enemy who’s here to take us down. The knob turned and the door opened. We instantly aimed our guns at the figure who just entered.

“Sup, motherf*ckers!” There in front of the door stood the man we haven’t seen in so long. He didn’t change at all. He still wore that same eye smile.

We all put our guns down and approached him happily. At last, he’s back.

.
.
.
.

“Welcome home, Yoonbin.”