Chapter 18: Cataclysm

James Gillies was in complete control of the situation, and he reveled in it. His obvious joy for the situation at hand, however, was not 100% observed by the partner he had recently gained. 

Breanna watched him walk around the room in preparation of something he still refused to tell her about. It had now been two weeks since her escape from the hospital, and the two had been living with one another peacefully for the most part.

James even went so far to get Breanna medical books as a way for her to advance herself as she had done before he had taken her. Breanna had a feeling he was also doing this so she wouldn't be poking her nose into whatever scheme he had devised this time.

Detective Murdoch hadn't found them. Two weeks and there had been no running, no diversions, nothing. 

Breanna finally felt as if she belonged somewhere. James cared for her; he didn't act as if her disease was a hindrance or even something that had to be fixed. All he wanted was for her to be in as little pain as possible. 

Breanna was beginning to feel an emotion she didn't want to admit she had for the criminal. Even though James was the person she trusted most at the moment, she couldn't deny the fact he was a criminal and had murdered people in the past. And it terrified her to think of how she was so willingly able to look past that just because of her emotions towards the man standing across from her. 

James, feeling the burning stare of the woman across the room, turns to look at Breanna's thoughtful eyes. He offers her a small grin. Breanna smiles in return, knowing he was still in a good mood.

"What's on your mind, Breanna?" James asks as he situates whatever it was he was working on. Breanna plays with her fingers, unsure of which part of her brain to divulge him on.

"I was just thinking about what's next," she admits and James raises an eyebrow at her, as if to urge her to continue the thought. "Well, it's obvious something is going on. You're planning something. We've been out of sight for the past two weeks and no one has found us. But I'm still in the dark about what's going on, so naturally my curiosity is peaked to know what is next for us."

Her logical explanation successfully hid the other emotions dwelling in her heart. James Gillies turns to Breanna fully, the grin remaining on his face, but his eyes were slightly colder.

"I appreciate your curiosity for the plans I have, Breanna. But there are still things you don't need to know. If anything, count yourself lucky. This way, you won't be an accessory in whatever scheme I have next."

"So you are planning something dastardly? What crime are you planning on committing?" Breanna inquires. She's met with a cold stare.

"As I just said, you don't need to know. You'll know whatever is important. That much I'll tell you. Because I will need your help, Breanna. Until that time comes, however, I'd very much like for you to not pry. It's for your own good."

His answer unsettled Breanna's insides. Enough for her to stand to her feet to question him further. "For my own good, or for yours?" 

Gillies strides over to Breanna, staring her deep in the eyes. She could tell his mind was churning, thinking of several things that he could say to her. 

"For your own good," he starts with a murmur. "Do you not trust me when I say that?"

"It's not that at all," Breanna counters. "I do trust you. I just want to know if you trust me."

James stares at her for a few moments before taking in a breath. He brings a hand up to Breanna's cheek, caressing her face. Breanna feels her heart rate pick up at the action, her gaze transfixed on James's eyes.