Chapter 6: Misled

Detective Murdoch was looking at the chalkboard with the information he had gotten from Gillies about Breanna. 

Dr. Grace had indeed confirmed it was human blood on the cloth he was sent. It made Detective Murdoch's brain go numb at the thought of what Gillies could possibly be doing to Breanna. 

Two days had passed without any word from Gillies. No taunt. No other evidence. No clues. Nothing that could possibly help Murdoch discover his and Breanna's whereabouts. His mind was numb with the helplessness he felt in his current case.

A knock at the door makes Murdoch come out of his thoughts, turning around to see Dr. Ogden. She gives him a small smile and steps inside. He tries to force a smile but finds it difficult, even upon seeing the woman he still loved.

"William, I've heard about Breanna. I was actually called to do an evaluation on Mrs. Thorne yesterday. This is an awful predicament."

"How is she?"

"She's fine, other than the extreme guilt she feels. All she wishes is for Breanna to be home safely."

Murdoch grimaces. "As do we all," he turns away from Julia and looks back up at the board, rereading the evidence written on there for the 50th time. "I can't figure this one out, Julia. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do here."

Dr. Ogden frowns as she walks over, taking a look at the board before looking over at William. "Gillies will have left nothing to chance. He loves the game too much. Although judging on his past actions, I do fear for Breanna's life."

Her words weren't a comfort to Murdoch and he huffs. "But he has. There's nothing here that could possibly lead me to her. I've checked with the coaches, we've had Gillies' picture sent to police stations so they're on the lookout for him. But we've got nothing. Nothing but these taunts and...and-" Murdoch lets out a huff. 

"William, breathe. He's trying to unravel you. You can't give in to what he wants. There's always a way to solve the case. This is no different."

Murdoch turns to look at her. "No different? Julia this is my sister we're talking about. It's completely different. I've never felt this helpless before."

Julia frowns, unsure of how she could offer him assistance. "Please William, if there's anything I can assist you with, let me know. I want to help you find Breanna if I can. I will offer a bit of help psychologically. I mean, I've dealt with Gillies before. I know a bit about his psychological profile."

"Thank you, Julia. I really do appreciate it." Murdoch sighs. He looks to his board, about to walk through it with Julia when a frantic knock came at the door. They both turn and see George, who is pale in the face.

"Sir," he says, walking over to Murdoch. "This was processed in the mail today. It's addressed to you with no return address."

William couldn't help but feel his stomach drop in terror. He takes the envelope from George and opens it, both George and Julia looking at him anxiously.

Murdoch takes out the note first, looking at it before at the other two, clearing his throat to read it aloud.

"Detective Murdoch,

For such a clever man, you're at such a loss right now. It's quite funny to see you struggle so futilely. This might be the game I actually win because you aren't smart enough to figure it out. Not that I mind. I've quite been enjoying your sister's company. Here's a hint to get you started, Detective: revisit our old games. You have plenty of clues already."

Murdoch felt sick to his stomach as he looked at George and Julia, who looked downtrodden and shocked at the letter sent. Murdoch sets the note down on the table before pulling out the other part to the envelope.