Chapter 8

Cole

For the first 5 minutes of lunch, I waited for Bailey at the bench. She wasn't anywhere. I waited for her to sit beside me and awkwardly talk but we didn't. Maybe Bailey is in the library. I ran in the school and checked but still. Bailey wasn't there.

Bailey

"You look stupid in that coat, so boy like." A blonde girl kicked me as I shuffled to the corner on my hands and butt.

"That jacket is too tight on you, let me help." Another girl said and grabbed the sleeve, but the material was strong so she couldn't rip it. It was Cole's and it was why I was getting hurt. I think.

"Look at your legs. Ugh, you should, like, not eat." A brunette kicked my knee. Now I was in the corner of the library, nowhere to run, surrounded by 3 girls.

"Leave me alone!" I yelled.

"Fattie wanna go?" The main girl said and punched my forehead.

I started to cry.

"Aww, want your mommy?"

she kicked my stomach and it felt bruised.

"Hey!" Called a voice.

Everyone turned to it. It was Cole!

"Back away from her. She's with me."

"What are you talking about Cole? Your like, hot, and she's basically molestor moon." She kicked me again, but while she was turned around to me, Cole put her in to a head lock and the girl gasped.

"If you touch her again, you're going to have to deal with me." Cole warned.

"Okay, sorry." She whined and Cole let her go.

The blonde walked away, but the other two stayed.

"Cole... your not mad at us... are you?" They sucked up.

"I saw you."

"But it was an accident!"

"You, get out."

They made a face and walked out, twirling their hair and acting like nothing happened. Cole turned his back to me.

"Thanks." I whispered.

"Why didn't you do anything?"

"How could I?"

"You could have clearly, at least tried to run away!" He raised his voice.

"Well why are you so mad? I'm alright! It's not like it effects you in a-"

He turned and hugged me.

"I don't want you to get hurt."

"Hey. Why did you say I'm with you..? We're just friends."

"I know." But I think I heard him say quieter, "I wish we were closer." Maybe I'm just crazy.

Cole

The next day, Bailey was talking to some kid. A guy, actually. She was sitting on the bench with him, giggling over a book they're reading together. I've never seen him before, or met him, but I hate him already. When he wrapped his arm around her, my fist clenched. We're just friends. I repeated in my mind and walked away, I'm not sure where I was going, but I wanted to keep my mind off of this.

After school, I came back to talk to Bailey. I missed her, but I still wondered about Peter, the boy she was with.

"Hey Bailey." I waved as she packed up the homework from her locker.