Chapter 6

Bailey

I hate Cole. If I had to admit that I love him to save myself, I wouldn't. I sat down on the blue metal bench at school, I was an hour early today. I left early so mom doesn't tell me to eat, and when I don't she wont get concerned. The rain, pouring and pounding onto my head. It distracted me as I read "The Little Boy".

Everyone ran away from me. I don't know why. Maybe because I was a loser. I wasn't, though. I was just a little boy.

I pulled my hood up but it didn't help. My pink sweater was... well, a sweater. Made for excersising, not rain. I didn't care, though. The rain never killed anyone.... I think.

"Hey!" Cole shouted to me. It sounded like a whisper because the rain had muffled his voice.

I heard his shoes run on the mud. Ugh, that sound. Squish squish. Eww. Cole sat beside me.

"Oh. It's you. I thought-" Cole started and shut up when I glared at him.

"Never mind." He whispered.

A long pause.

"Lovely day, huh?" He joked.

Another long pause.

"Don't give me the silent treatment."

"Leave me alone." I sighed.

"What book is that?" He asked and flipped my book. As he did that, the book flopped in to the mud! My face went red. It was my favorite book!

"S-sorry!!" Cole apologized with fear in his voice, picking up the book and rubbed his shirt on it to dry it but then, the pages ripped!

"You've done enough damage in my life. Please go away." I clenched my fist, trying not to punch him.

"No! I'll buy a new one!" He sounded desperate.

"Whatever. I've already read it many times. I know how it goes." I pretended I didn't care, but it stung my heart. It peirced my heart. Cole flipped to the back, that had a little summary. Dry enough to read even though some of the colors and words have smudged.

"Taylor Gill has always wanted to fit in but couldn't. But one day, he meets a-"

I snatched the book from him so he doesn't read anymore.

"Why do you like this book?" Cole asked.

"Why not?"

"Is it because he's like you-"

He stopped and covered his mouth.

I looked down at my brown rain boots, all worn and dirty. You could hardley tell it was ever pink.

"Sorry! I… I mess up everything." Cole sighed.

I guess I felt bad for him, so I said:

"So do I. We all do. It's okay. Everyone hates me. At least you have friends."

Cole

I pulled off my dark blue raincoat and hand it to her.

"Here."

I pulled her sweater off so I could fit the raincoat on. She had drawings and words on her pale wrists.
Worthless. One said.

She pulled away and turned her back to me.

"Are you alright?" I asked.

"Yeah." She whispered.

"Why did you do this?"

"It was a dare." I heard Bailey's voice get shakey. I did that when I lied.

"You're lying, aren't you?"

"No." It shook again.

I pulled her wrist to me, took some water from my waterbottle in my backpack, poured it on to my new hankerchief, and rinsed the words off. I dried her arm with my jacket, that was soaking.

"You're not those things." I told her.

I saw her eyes get watery.

"Why would you care?" She asked.

"I…" I realised I had no answer so I blurted out a fake one.

"I love you!"