Spirits

A/N

Hello loves! I want to apologize for not updating in a while. I also wanted to say that to any of my amazing readers heading to protests that I wish you the best of luck and I'll light a candle for your safety. We are currently living in history and it is the time to reinvent our future. A future without hate and violence. Please take the time to either donate, spread knowledge, volunteer, or educate yourselves about #BlackLivesMatter

Freya

"Spirits love to play tricks. Ask a question that only your mothers would know the answer to." Agatha tells us. I look to Sabrina and she nods. I just try to fight back the tears in my eyes. My mother could be here. With me. Right now.

"Spirits, if you are our mothers... how did you die?" Sabrina asks. "They say 2331" Agatha says with a confused look on her face. My throat basically closes in on itself. A couple of my tears spill over and I'm unable to hide the smile on my face.

"That doesn't make any sense." Dorcas says. "They died in a plane crash. Their flight number was 2331." I explain. Sabrina squeezes my hand and tries to fight off her own tears. "So it is you?" Sabrina asks.

"She says that it is." Agatha says with a smile. "I have so many questions for you." Sabrina says softly as her tears start to fall. "I wish I could see you again." I say to my mother's dress. As if that's where she was in this moment. 

"She says that she'll try." Agatha says. "Wait what?" I ask. All the lights in the room start to flicker and the wind picks back up. Agatha warns us not to break focus but I'm too busy staring at the miracle in front of me. Standing in front of me is my mother. Even though I've only seen pictures of her, I know that it's her. She's standing next to a woman who looks exactly like Sabrina. Must be Diana. 

"Mom?" Sabrina and I croak out. I break the circle and rise to my feet. Trying to get a good look at her. I want to remember everything about this moment. "You're beautiful." Sabrina whispers next to me as she looks at her mother. Our moms look to each other for a moment before looking back at us. 

"She says thank you." Agatha tells her. Sabrina stands from her spot next to me. "Mom, why are you in Limbo? Is there something I can help you finish or do?" Sabrina asks her mother. Rushing through each question without time to let anyone answer. Agatha shudders and her face twists with confusion.

"Not...Safe?" Agatha says, well asks. "What do you mean? You're not safe or us?" I ask with panic. "One question at a time girls." Prudence warns. "How can we help you?" Sabrina asks completely ignoring Prudence. 

"Wait wait wait. Something's wrong. There's an interference." Agatha says suddenly. My heart stops for a second. I look between Agatha and my mom. Looking for any sign of pain or trouble. "What kind of interference?" I ask. "Other spirits." Agatha answers.

"Mom? Is someone with you?" Sabrina asks. The room suddenly feels a lot colder. As if someone opened the window to the winter night outside. "Agatha what's happening?" I demand as our mothers start looking around the room as if they are seeing things that we cannot. 

"I'm not sure! Other entities could be coming in or coming after her. I'm breaking the connection." Agatha says as she pulls her hands away from the group. "Agatha, no! It's too soon!" Sabrina cries out. My mother looks shaken and she reaches out her hand. I try to reach out and grab it but she disappears before I have the chance. 

"Girls! The Yule Log has gone out!" Aunt Zelda says rushing into the room. She stops in her tracks and gasps at the sight of Diana who is still standing in the middle of all of us. "Diana?" She asks. Diana reaches forward. "Mom don't!" Sabrina cries out. But it's too late. She's gone. Everyone just stays still. Completely silent.

"Girls." Aunt Zelda says quietly. "Aunt Zelda, I can explain everything." Sabrina says quickly. "I think you'd better. As for you three, haven't you got to get back to the academy for some sort of bed check?" Aunt Zelda hisses at the Weird Sisters. They all get up and scramble to the doors. Able to escape the wrath of Zelda Spellman, unlike Sabrina and I.

Fuck. Happy Solstice I guess.

-----------------------------

Freya

"I swear, Aunt Zelda, we didn't put out the log!" Sabrina explains after we get scolded in the parlor. I'm sitting on the couch next to Sabrina while Aunt Z just lectures us. I just take it. I'm too busy thinking about my mom and trying to calm down. My eyes still sting from crying at the sight of my mother. She was so beautiful. 

"Oh. I see, so it is a mere coincidence that the Yule Log, lit to keep away all unearthly things, including spirits was unlit at the exact time you two decided to convene with the ghosts of your mothers?" Aunt Zelda asks sarcastically. "I know how it looks!" Sabrina says sadly.

"And tell me, why tonight, or all nights? On the eve of the solstice did you suddenly feel the need to contact your mothers?" Aunt Zelda asks. I don't even bother trying to get a word in. I let Sabrina do all the talking. Which honestly might not be the best idea.

"It wasn't sudden, Aunt Zelda. I saw my mom trapped in limbo and I wanted to release her." Sabrina explains. The Aunties straighten up at this. "If that's true, why in Satan's name didn't you tell us? We could have helped you and Diana." Aunt Zelda says calmly. I raise and eyebrow.

"You would have done that?" Sabrina asks. "Of course. Diana was my brother's wife. Honestly sometimes I don't think you understand the meaning of family at all." Aunt Zelda says with a shrug. Ambrose strolls into the room holding a small object spinning on a string. 

"Ambrose, did you find anything?" Aunt Hilda asks. "I checked every room and closet. If some malevolence got in whilst the Yule log was out, they left after Aunt Hilda re lit it." He explains as he holds the string in various parts of the room, trying to sense if any spirit was there.

"Or they're very adept at hiding." Aunt Zelda says with a huff. "Either way, so much for a peaceful solstice. I'm going to bed. I suggest everyone sleep with a lit warding candle and pray to Satan to keep us safe." She says rising from her seat and exiting the room. Aunt Hilda shuffles after her. 

Ambrose walks over to me and holds the charm in front of my face, keeping it there for a second before wrapping it up and tucking it away into his pocket. He perches himself on the armrest of the couch and kisses the top of my head. 

"Did you find out, cous? What's keeping your mum in limbo?" He asks Sabrina after the Aunties are gone. "I didn't get the chance to." Sabrina says shaking her head. I can tell that more tears are threatening to spill over. I sigh and curl up into Ambrose's side. He gently wraps and arm around my shoulders.

"Did you ask her about what to do about Harvey?" He asks. Sabrina shakes her head and a couple of tears streak down her cheeks. "Oh Sabrina. I am sorry. Will you try again?" He asks. "Maybe after solstice." Sabrina says rising from the couch. She wipes her eyes and mutters a goodnight as she exits the room. I scoot over and Ambrose lowers himself on the couch to be closer to me. 

"And did you get to talk to your mum?" He asks pulling me close. I sigh. "No. I only got to see her for a few moments. No talking." I explain. "Sorry love." Ambrose whispers as he plays with a loose strand of my hair. I shrug. 

"She's so beautiful." I say after a minute of silence. "She must be. How else could she create something as beautiful and amazing as you."