Let Me Try This

Freya

Sabrina swung by my room and told me that she was going to bring Prudence to Baxter High with her and asked if I wanted to come. I denied, not wanting to be anywhere near Prudence right now. I spent most of the morning reading and trying not to fall asleep. I yawned and stretched mid page of a book about necromancy.

"Didn't sleep last night?" He asks from the doorway. I sigh and close the book I'm reading. "Me neither." He admits coming in. Kai stands at the foot of my bed and snarls at Ambrose. "Wow. Even your familiar doesn't want to see me right now." He says with a small laugh. Only I don't smile. I snap my fingers and Kai comes and curls up against my side, still on high alert.

"Can we talk?" He asks sighing. "About what?" I ask sitting up. "Last night. This morning." He says. "Fine. Start talking." I tell him. "Not here." He says. I raise and eyebrow at him and wait for him to explain. He just holds out his hand to me. I swat his hand away and walk to the door, waiting for him. He starts walking towards the stairs, towards the one place I don't want to be. Still, I lift my long skirt and walk up the stairs behind him. We get to his door and he stops. 

"Ambrose, I really don't want to be in there." I say to him with a sigh. He nods and takes my hands in his. I don't pull away. "I know Frey, I know. But just.... let me try this." He says. I look at him confused. "Let you try what?" I ask. "Us." He says simply opening the door. 

He cleaned up. Everything was neat and put away. In the middle of his room, is a nice blanket and pillows with candles and flowers from the garden. The room smelled like lavender, my favorite. I turn to him with the biggest smile on my face. "You did this? For me?" I ask. He nods. "All for you. I can't exactly leave the house, but I figured that the first step to monogamy is to take you on a date. So here we are." He says walking into the room and handing me flowers. Lilies. My favorite. I smile at how stupidly cute he was being. Fuck last night, that didn't matter to me anymore. He was ready to commit to me and only me and that makes me so unbelievably happy.

"Come here." He says sitting down on the blanket. I smile and take a seat next to him. He pulls out a basket. "Now, I can't exactly cook, so I asked Aunt Hilda to help me out on this one." He says pulling out pastries and pre cut sandwiches. "Ambrose Spellman, when did you have time for all this?" I ask. 

"I'd been wanting to do this for a while now. When I met you at Dr. Cerberus's that day, I knew that I needed to do something like this. So yesterday I asked Aunt Hilda to help me set this up. Only, I didn't know what was going to happen later that night. And then I was going to cancel it, but when I saw you this morning, it crushed me, and I knew that I had to do this." He explains. "You never cease to amaze me." I joke. He smiles and hands me an iced tea, which I happily accept. 

"You know, next time you take me on a lunch picnic date, you could at least let me know, so I can try to look presentable." I laugh looking down at myself. "You look perfect." He tells me. I look into his eyes and I knew he meant it. I blush and look down. "I'm serious Frey, look at you. You're everything anyone could want in a woman." He says. "Such a charmer." I joke. 

That's how we spend the next hour. Laughing. Joking around. Eating small sandwiches. Talking about the stupidest shit. And I'm so happy. This day started being the shittiest and now it's quickly turning into the best day possible. I'm on a date with Ambrose Spellman. And that amazes me. What does such a wonderful warlock want with a little witch like me? But in this moment, I don't think about things like that. I just think about how lucky I am right here, right now.

"Still tired?" He asks when I yawn again. "I'm sorry. I just didn't sleep last night." I admit. "Me too. I think it's because I didn't have you sleeping by my side." He admits. "Oh don't get soft on me know." I joke hitting his chest. He catches my hand and presses it against his chest. "I'm not joking. Feel my heart." He says. We make eye contact and I feel his heart race under my fingertips. 

"Now do you understand what you do to me?" He asks. "Believe me. The feeling is 100% mutual." I say with a smile. He leans back onto the blanket and pulls me down with him. He's now completely on his back and I'm laying on his chest.  I plant a kiss on his lips. Nothing too much, just a short sweet peck. He wraps his arms around my waist and pulls me close.

"Come rest with me. We both need it." He says closing his eyes. I place my head and hand on his chest and listen to his breathing start to slow as he starts to fall asleep.

"Ambrose?" I ask. "Hmm?" He asks as he starts to fall asleep. "Thank you." I say. "For what darling?" He asks, eyes still closed. I place a kiss on the corner of his lips. "Everything." I say. "Anything for you."

And then we're both asleep.