Chapter 14

THEO

Even after my dad stops struggling, Thomas holds him down, muttering curse words and yelling away his frustration.

He staggers away from the soulless prick's body, stumbled over to us, dropping to his knees. "You're definitely my brother," I say, eying my dad's body face down. "Scary bastard."

Thomas ignores me, stroking a thumb over Cara's cheek, whispering to her that it's going to be alright, just to go to sleep and it'll be over soon.

"Thomas?" I need him to get out of his head, now. He finally looks at me, expressionless. "Focus."

He closes his eyes for a few beats, clenching and unclenching his fists.

His hands are shaking, jaw tensed, wiping his face on his sleeve as he stood. "Right." He fished out the paper, picking up the bag. "I need to figure this out. I'll set them up while you sit with Cara." He leans down and kisses her cheek, sniffing while he stands, nodding at me and runs off to set up the explosives.

I lift her at the shoulders, pulling her closer to my chest, leaning my back against the curved wall. I don't pull away when her small hand reaches up for mine, intertwining our fingers.

She's cold, weak, breathing in short fast breaths. "I'm sorry," She rasped.

I don't look down at her, staring forward, closing my eyes and rubbing my face with my free hand. "What for?"

"I was a horrible girlfriend and an even worse ex." She said slowly between breaths, trying to squeeze my hand. "You aren't the same Theo I fell in love with all those years ago. But... that's a... good thing. I'm pr- proud of you." She whispers the last part, her grip weakening a little.

"Shh," my free hand strokes her hair out of her face, running my thumb over her hand. "Stop talking like that."

"I hope you find your family, Theo." She groans when a surge of pain hits her again, tensing in my arms, back arching. "It hurts."

"I know," I say, "just close your eyes, imagine something else."

"I want to... picture you, ha- happy. Will you be ha- happier without me?"

Thomas runs back, concerned, interrupting her question. "It's set up, I need to tell you something." He leans down to us. "The signal doesn't work on the controls, it needs to be connected to them to go off. If I do it then you can get her to a hospital if we hurry."

Woah, hold the fuck up.

"Thomas, I'll fucking kill you myself if you suggest that again."

"I'll... do it," Cara is barely audible, but we hear her.

"No," Thomas refuses, tilting his head at us. "He can take you to the hospital."

"Thomas, I won't... make it," she mumbled, coughing up more dark blood. "Carry me." She orders through bloodied teeth, "n-now."

With a heavy heart, we both carry her to the end, seeing the blocks stuck to the concrete and the detonator wired into all three, dangling down the side of the wall.

Her breathing is shorter now, face discolouring, body limp. Thomas shows her the controls, placing her thumb on the button and flipping a switch. "We're going to run as fast as we can that way, you press it when you can't hear us or when you feel you need to."

She raises her brows instead of nodding, and I lean down and place a soft kiss on her forehead, thanking her for saving me.

I'm not a total heartless cunt, I did once love this woman, who's about to blow herself to bits to help us get free, to help me to find my family. I feel responsible for her involvement in all this, resulting in her death.