Chapter 5: Everything Was Perfect

Chapter 5

Christine heard music from upstairs as soon as she opened the door. She ran towards it. As soon as she reached the top of the stairs, a trail of dark red rose petals led to the middle aisle of the theatre where a red carpet led onto the stage. There she saw the most beautiful arrangements of roses that decorated the stage. Their scent filled the theatre. They were perfectly arranged in pots and a series of bouquets. A lot of them were tied together to cover an old set piece that once was a white arch. As she stepped through the doors of the theatre, Madame Giry handed her a bouquet of red roses tied together with black ribbon. All of the lights and the flowers were beautiful, but Christine couldn't keep her eyes off of her Angel. He had his hair perfectly combed back. He had freshly polished his mask and his shoes. He was wearing his good tux, and the only flaw Christine could find was that his bow tie was slightly tilted to the side. His big blue eyes were beaming, and Christine could feel hers beaming back at him. She wished that he had not worn his mask, but she saw all of the workers that were there. She even saw little Meg Giry sitting in the front row. Christine had not seen her since the accident, but she was glad that Meg was there.

There were so many people that Christine wished were there. She wished her father and mother could be there. She wished her father could give her away, but Madame Giry offered her arm and Christine took it gratefully. Madame Giry had been like a mother to her, and she couldn't think of anyone better to give her away. Christine could feel her heart pounding as she approached Erik. He took her gloved hand and kissed it, and Christine's heart skipped a beat. As Erik was saying his vows, she thought that it was going to beat right out of her chest, but somehow she mottled through saying her vows back to him.

"I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss your bride."

Erik's arm slowly wrapped around her waist and pulled her in. His other hand moved her veil to reveal her red lips that Erik had waited too long to kiss. He gently pressed his lips against hers. She grasped his jacket and pulled him in closer. She could hear the applause of the small group that had gathered for their wedding, but she didn't care. She began to press her lips harder into his, and he pulled her waist in tighter. Finally applause turned into laughter as they began to realize that they had been kissing a little too long. Erik released her waist and kissed the back of her gloved hand once more. He bent down and scooped up his bride and carried her out of the theatre. In the lobby, a beautiful reception had been set out for the new happy couple. In the corner, Christine spotted a beautiful wedding cake decorated with red roses made of icing. She wondered how Erik had thrown together such a beautiful wedding so quickly. Erik sat her down at a table and gazed at his beautiful bride. She blushed at the way he looked at her.

"How did you do this so quickly?" Christine asked as guests came into the lobby to fill the seats.

Erik kissed her once more, "I had a little help." Gustave then came running in. His tux was an exact replica of Erik's. It was just smaller. She thought that it was sweet that they matched.

"Did you hear me, Mother? Did you hear me play?" Gustave asked his mother excitedly.

The truth was all Christine heard was her heart beating. She was so concentrated on Erik that she hadn't been paying attention, but she didn't want to break his heart, "Of course I heard you, Gustave. It was beautiful!"

He hugged his mother and then his father. Then he ran off to play with Squelch who was standing alone in the corner. He was showing Gustave some magic tricks, and Erik gazed at his new wife again. He took in her beauty. It made him breathless. He couldn't believe that she had actually put on that dress and met him upstairs just because he had written her a note asking her to. He couldn't help himself. He kissed her again, and then he rested his head up against hers. "Did I make it up to you?" he asked.