I Missed You

Chapter 19

Erik's illness had permanently done a number on him.

After about two months of recovery, he finally came around. He was still a little weak, and he had some issues with breathing. For the most part though, the doctor said that he was healed.

He was finally beginning to settle back into his normal routine which he was very grateful for. He was a creature of habit and sitting in a bed all day had been crushing his spirit.

He woke up as soon as he saw light peek through the window. He slid his arms through the sleeves of his dress shirt and pulled on a pair of trousers. When Christine heard Erik stirring around in the washroom, she groaned and pulled a pillow over her head. Why he always insisted on waking at the crack of dawn each morning, she would never know. He usually didn't wake her up, but that morning he went into another coughing frenzy. Even though he tried to stifle it, Christine still heard it. She eventually forced herself to get up. She pulled her robe on and stepped out on the balcony where Erik was playing his violin peacefully. She immediately recognized the tune to be an old Swedish folk song that her father used to play. She leaned against the door frame and listened to him play.

The music stopped abruptly when Erik saw her standing there. "Good morning, Angel," he said smiling. Christine smiled back at him. He propped his violin up against the house and motioned for her to come to him. She happily sat in his lap and watched the water.

"This is nice," he said. "Normally you're not awake when I leave."

She turned his head and kissed him. "Do you have to go to work today?" she pouted.

He sighed. "Yes, I have some things I need to take care of, but I'll try to do them quickly so I can come home early. How does that sound?"

She nodded and kissed him again. "It's just that this big house gets awfully lonely without Nadir here."

"I hate that he had to go home," Erik said. "I miss the old bat."

Christine nodded in agreement. "I liked having him around. He's very good at holding a conversation."

Erik chuckled. "He always has been."

Christine gazed at the sun that was beginning to peek over the water. The sky started to turn beautiful shades of pink and blue. "Is this why you always get up so early?" she asked.

Erik shrugged. "No, but the colors are lovely aren't they?"

She smiled and kissed over his deformed cheek and down the side of his neck. Erik let out a little moan of pleasure, and Christine giggled.

"What's so humorous?" he inquired.

"Just you," she said before continuing to kiss his neck.

"I didn't do anything funny," he said. "I'm just sitting here."

Christine rolled her eyes. "You know, you really need to learn to just take the compliment and shut up."

Erik laughed and kissed her. He tangled his fingers in her hair and pulled her in tighter. Suddenly he heard a little tapping at the balcony door. He broke the kiss and looked at the window to find little Angeletta with her face pressed to the glass.

"How in the world did she get out of her crib and up the stairs?" Christine said in shock.

Erik chuckled. "She's smart girl, Christine." He set Christine in the chair where he had previously been sitting, and opened the door. Angeletta reached up to him, and he scooped her up. He held her on his hip, and she began playing with the collar of his shirt.