Think About What You Did

Chapter 80

Guten Morgen! Es ist schön heiB, und Ich weiB nicht warum Ich Deutsch schriebe. (Yes, I know some German. Don't ask me why I wrote in it. I don't know. I don't why I'm up at 2:30 trying to write either, but yolo.)

Now to the real news...

Pippa. I'm writing a story called Pippa. You guys should go check it out especially if you like historical fiction. I promise this one is going past one chapter.

Anyways, senior party tomorrow. I should probably sleep... even though there are strange people outside my house making noise, and it's freaking me out. Oh well. I'll try to update ASAP. Lots of love. Sorry for the pointless author's note. Go read Pippa. - E. B.

"Looks like we'll be in-laws soon! How great is that, Destler?" Jordan Johnson said as he clapped Erik on the shoulder.

Erik, who was helping Christine with supper, cut his finger wide open as he dropped the knife in his hand at what Jordan had said.

"What?" Erik growled.

"Yes, it's a lovely thing," Christine said sweetly as she wrapped a rag around Erik's finger.

"What?" Erik repeated.

"Oh, yeah," Jordan said with a smile as he set his hands on Meg's shoulders. "Your Phillip was just telling us earlier that he went with our Jamie last week to pick out an engagement ring for Harmony."

"Jordan," Meg scolded, "I think you should have let Harmony tell her family when the time was right."

"Sorry, Meggie," Jordan apologized.

"I feel faint," Erik groaned as he reached for a chair.

"You haven't lost that much blood, dear," Christine said rolling her eyes.

"It's not the blood, and you know it," he growled where only she could hear.

"Shh," she scolded as she over-aggressively stitched up his finger.

"Besides, I think this will be good for Harmony. She always has been so shy, and our Jamie is so outgoing," Meg said.

"My Harmony is perfect just the way she is," Erik snapped. "She doesn't need anyone to help her be any different."

"That wasn't what I meant," Meg said shrinking away.

"Erik," Christine scolded. "Harmony and Jamie can choose what is good for them, and I don't think any of us should voice our opinions. We've always considered each other family. Marriage or no marriage, that's not going to change."

"Quite right," Jordan Johnson said with a smile as Erik grunted when Christine stuck the needle in his finger again. "Say, where is Phillip anyway? I heard his sister gave him a new job. I wanted to congratulate him."

Christine chuckled. "I'm sure since he knows about Harmony and Jamie, he and Erika are snooping in their business. Nothing can happen in this house without them knowing."

Just then, Harmony walked in followed by Jamie. All four parents looked at them expectantly but nothing was said. They all knew though when Harmony brushed her black curls back with her left hand, and the little diamond band was shining. Jamie lovingly pulled out a chair for her which she sat in with a delicate, blithe smile.

Finally, Meg couldn't stand it anymore. "Anything you want to tell us?" Meg asked hintingly.

"Not particularly," Jamie said teasingly knowing what his mother wanted to hear. Harmony smiled and hit his arm playfully with a chuckle. "Oh yeah," Jamie said smiling down at her, "we just got engaged."

Christine, Meg, and Jordan all cheered as Harmony quietly showed them the ring. She looked over to her father who simply sighed as he put a bandage around his finger.

"Papa," Harmony said barely above a whisper, "don't you want to see my ring? You're the only person who hasn't seen it yet."

Erik, not being able to resist his pretty little daughter, stood and walked over to her. He kissed her head and lifted her left hand so he could see the ring. He nodded his approval and looked at Jamie. "It's lovely, son," he sighed. "You did good. Now, as for you," he said turning around to Jamie's father, "just because we're in-laws, that does not mean I like you any better than before. I'll tolerate you for my daughter though if that makes her happy."

Jordan, being the happy-go-lucky man that he was simply laughed as if Erik was joking and nodded.

"I hate to break up the party, but I was hoping that I might take Harmony out for dinner to celebrate."

"We don't mind," Christine said with a smile. "Just don't have her back too late."

"I suppose we better be going as well. It was nice to see you all though," Meg said sweetly. "Thank you for having us."

"Anytime," Christine smiled.

They all said their goodbyes. Then suddenly the house was quiet again. Christine grunted as she scrubbed a spot off of the table.

"I might be wrong, but I think if the smudge hasn't come off by now, it's not going to come off at all," Erik sighed as he studied where his finger was swelling.

"Well, I'm scrubbing this so I don't take out my anger by smacking you," Christine said putting her hands on her hips.

"Me? What did I do?"

"Erik, our daughter is happy, and you couldn't be happy for her for more than two seconds before you were back to your cranky self. I mean, speaking to Jordan like that? I know you don't like him, but could you at least pretend for our daughter and new son's sake?"

"You mean lie to them?"

"No, not lie. I mean just –"

"Lie?"

"Erik, you are impossible!" she huffed as she threw her rag in the sink and angrily marched out of the kitchen.

He sighed and followed her. She sat on the couch with her back facing him and her arms folded. He sat behind her and rested his chin on her shoulder.

"I'm sorry," he mumbled as she huffed again. "I'll try to be nicer. I can't promise I'll succeed, but I promise I'll try."

She simply rolled her eyes.

"Don't give me a silent treatment. Please, Christine, you know I can't stand to see you upset, my love."

"If you can't stand it so much, you shouldn't be such an ass," she huffed.

He chuckled at her word choice and kissed her shoulder. "I'll admit that I deserved that. Come on now, Christine. You can't stay mad at me, and you know it. What can I do to make it up to you?"

She smirked and looked back at him slightly. "You know, I can think of a few things that would be nice."

"Name it."

She smiled. "Well, first, I want you to go upstairs."

He grinned and wrapped his arms around her waist. "And then?"

She turned around and pushed him back. "And then I want you to write a song for me, and I don't want it to be just any old song it needs to be sorrowful because you should feel bad about what you did."

He frowned and folded his arms. "I'm not a child. You can't just punish me for voicing my opinion."

"If you don't want to sleep on the couch tonight, then I can."

"I'm not sleeping on the couch. I'm almost seventy years old. Do you know what that will do to me?"

She smirked mischievously. "Then I guess you better get to writing then."

He folded his arms and returned her smile. "Who taught you to be so conniving?"

"I learned from the best."