Chapter 3: Signing the Past Away

Chapter 3

The next couple of days went by simply. Christine spent most of her time sleeping, and Erik watched over her. Gustave played with his toys or played piano. Erik loved listening to his son play. He loved watching Christine sleep. She was so serene.

About the fifth day after the accident, Christine had gotten to where she could do most everything that she needed to by herself. She was sitting on the couch needlepointing beside Erik as he was reading. Gustave was in his room playing with a new toy that Erik had made for him. Everything was peaceful. It was the life Christine had imagined her entire life. It's how she wanted things to be. Everything was simple. There were no parties to attend or businessmen coming to talk to her husband. She could let her hair down. She didn't have to worry about someone hurting Gustave's feelings. He could just be a little boy and sit in his room and play. It had only been a few days, but her angel had already provided a whole new life for them. She was so grateful for that. She looked at Erik as he read. He was still wearing his mask. She felt free to be herself in this space; why shouldn't Erik? She pulled herself close to him. He looked up from his book. She put her hand on his white mask, and she could feel him tense up. He didn't stop her though. She slid the mask off of his face and sat it on the end table on her side of the couch so he couldn't reach it without reaching over her. He started to cover up his face with his hand, but Christine reached over and put his hand down. She kissed his deformed cheek. He looked at her in disbelief. She took his hands in hers and rested her head on his shoulder. He dropped his head on hers and started crying. She really had accepted him fully now. He knew that for certain. There was no way that he was going to let her go now.

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. Erik wiped the tears from his eyes. He totally forgot about putting his mask back on. He answered the knock to see Squelch standing in front of him. Squelch downcast his eyes and handed Erik a package.

"Sir," he said timidly, "This came for Mrs. De Chagny."

Erik covered his face and nodded. He closed the door behind him. He crossed over to Christine her and handed her the package. He sat back down beside her as she opened it. Inside it there was a set of formal papers and a letter.

It read: Little Lotte, This hurts me more than it does you I assure you. May your angel give you all that I never did. I wish you forever happiness. I will love you forever. - Raoul.

Christine shuffled through the papers to find that they were divorce papers. Raoul had already signed them. Christine started to cry. Erik held her close. Christine sniffled as the tears were running down her cheeks, "I can't do it, Angel. I love you, but this is all too real. It's all too sudden."

"Christine," said Erik, "I'll love you no matter what you do or what you decide, but no matter what, I am never leaving your side. I'm not letting you go again."

Christine's tears started to subside. "Can you get me a pen?" she asked.

Erik grabbed the pen and ink that he kept on his piano. Christine signed the papers with trembling hands. She wrote on the back of Raoul's note: I hardly doubt it hurts you more than me. It breaks my heart to send you this. My red scarf is in the attic. Drop it in the sea if that's what you need. You probably hate me now. I understand if you get rid of everything. I'll forever love you too. - Christine.

Christine packed the papers back in the box. "Send it," she told Erik, "Send it because I can't do it."

Erik took the box and nodded. He left for a few minutes to take the box up to an office that could send it back to Paris. He returned to find Christine sitting on the couch crying and explaining something to Gustave.

"You see, Gustave," she said gently, "I loved Raoul very much, but things have to change for you and me both. He was a good father, but it's time that you get to know your real father. It is time for you and I to start a new life. Do you understand, Gustave?"