Nosy

Kind of a funny little chapter to leave you with today. Hope all of my American readers have had a stunning Fourth of July weekend! Love you all. -E. B.

Chapter 70

Things were finally back to normal – well, as normal as normal gets with the Destlers. The triplets and Gustave's son were playing in Erika's bedroom as Christine was talking in the kitchen with Gustave and Lotte. Angeletta was sitting back on the couch with Tommy's arm slung around her shoulders. She assumed her father was probably in the library catching up on bills or something.

Angeletta and Erik both had been hounded by reporters for interviews, most of which they turned down. The bright side was that Phantasma's business had never been better. That meant that Angeletta and her father had to work overtime some, but no one seemed to mind. It seemed as though the Destler family had found their way right alongside the roaring 20s society.

Tommy sighed. "You know, this is the first time we've just gotten to sit and talk in almost a month."

"I know, and I'm sorry," Angeletta said. "You know things have been busy with the park."

"I'm not angry. There's no need to apologize," he said sweetly. "Besides, some of it has been my fault too. I never really set any business hours for the practice because I had no one to make time for. Well, I guess I better set some because people come in right about the time I think I'm going to come see you." He huffed. "I can't work all day anymore. I've got to have some time to see my best girl."

She smiled and kissed his cheek. "Look at us. We're all successful and happy."

"I guess there's only one thing missing," he sighed.

"And what would that be?"

"I don't have a wife to enjoy it with."

Angeletta groaned. "Tommy, we've talked about this."

"I just don't understand. Why won't you marry me? Does it have to do with Daniel?"

"No! It's nothing like that. My reasoning is actually pretty ridiculous."

"And what's that?"

She sighed. "You know how you promise yourself things when you're little? You swear to yourself that you're going to be honest or you're going to go to church more. Well, I told myself that I would never get married."

He laughed. "So you don't want to marry me because of some silly thing you said as a kid?"

"It wasn't silly," she said crossing her arms. "You wouldn't understand."

"But then why did you get engaged before? I mean, really, Angeletta, who wouldn't want to marry me?"

She rolled her eyes. "He asked me in public, and it was different with him. I felt like if I didn't say yes that he would leave me."

Tommy sighed. "You don't ever want to get married – like ever?"

She groaned. "I want to, but I also don't. I don't want to be a frumpy housewife with four kids. I don't want to feel obligated to answer at your beck and call. I'm not made for apron strings, and you know that, Tommy."

"Now, hey, when did I ever tell you that you would have to be a house maid? I didn't did I? I would never make you do that. I just want us to be together. Now, as far as kids go, you know I love kids. I would love to have some of my own, but if that's not what you want, then so be it. I won't make you do anything you don't want to. I just want to marry you. That's all. I just want you to be my wife."

Angeletta was quiet for a moment. "You know, for a man who says he's bad with words, you're pretty convincing."

"Well, it should be. I've been rehearsing that speech in front of my mirror for a couple of weeks now."