Chapter 5: The Nobility's Hobbies

Thanks to my birthday party, I was able to mingle with various noble children around my age, but for some reason, I feel uneasy.

Today, as has been the case for the past few months, I am invited to a tea party. I'm in the mansion of Duke Farhan, one of the empire's four dukes.

The one organizing the tea party was her eldest daughter, who is as old as Brother Calvin. Heaven Farhan, her name is so nostalgic that I was planning to inquire about how she came to be named that way later.

Despite the fact that I am 6 years old on the outside, I am 24 years old on the inside, and I understand why this person invited me.

Despite the fact that I am too young for their circle, she insisted on inviting me. Its real intention is far too evident to be misunderstood.

Brother Calvin, though not the crowned Prince, undoubtedly carries royal blood, ensuring his status as a prince regardless of circumstance. Furthermore, I've overheard from the maids that certain nobles advocate for Brother Calvin to ascend the throne instead of Brother Tristan. They're referred to as the aristocratic party, if memory serves me right. While I'm still unfamiliar with the intricacies of noble factions and power dynamics, I'm keenly aware that many seek to leverage my brothers and me for their own gain in influence and connections. Thus, I must proceed with caution.

A line of servants flanked the entrance to the sprawling mansion where my carriage had halted. A young lady, perhaps around 13 or 14 years old, with brown coppery hair and piercing green eyes, warmly welcomed me.

 A young lady, perhaps around 13 or 14 years old, with brown coppery hair and piercing green eyes, warmly welcomed me

"Princess Anya, welcome to our humble abode," she greeted, gracefully bowing. "I am Heaven Farhan, eldest daughter of Duke Farhan."

"Lady Heaven Farhan, I am grateful for your invitation," I replied with a practiced smile.

I called it as such because it reminded me of one of the shows I watched on earth, I forgot the title of it but I remember this, because I also used it during my high school days, where you need to smile despite being insulted by teachers or bullied by classmates.

Smiling in the face of negativity can serve as a potent defense mechanism. Reacting to negative remarks or seeking sympathy from others often only fuels the instigator's sense of satisfaction and power, encouraging further attempts to hurt you. By refusing to engage in their negativity and instead wearing a smile, you deny them that gratification.

Those who derive pleasure from bringing others down often do so to compensate for their own feelings of inadequacy. Witnessing someone else suffer momentarily boosts their own sense of superiority, providing a fleeting respite from their inner turmoil. It's a manifestation of their own struggles with insecurity and inferiority complexes.

As we exchanged pleasantries and began our walk towards the tea party location, I couldn't help but reflect on the power of a smile in the face of adversity. It wasn't merely a facial expression; it served as a shield against the negativity of others, a silent affirmation of my resilience and strength amidst challenges.