33 Welcome to my family

Song for the mood: I got you covered by Sofia Karlberg. A snippet of the lyrics:

I can see you hurtin'
I've been through the same thing
Baby, don't you worry
I got you

Vera

A few months later

"This is outrageous!" Alistair's temper exploded like a grenade in his office. He threw the magazine at my feet.

I picked it up, saw the smut on the cover, and then flipped to the article, scanning it before placing it on the coffee table by my side.

"It's just tabloid rubbish." I stroked my hot-tempered lover's arm. His reddened cheeks ticked in heated anger.

"It's a media campaign attack!" Alistair blasted. "Clearly, someone is paying Rebecca to pour shit on me."

The magazine, Lester Harbor Exposed, was a popular gossip rag with wild headlines and vulgar photos of the rich and famous.

The latest exposé featured Alistair's former lover, Rebecca Ross, who called him a whoring, cheating playboy who gave her gonorrhea. That last part was not true because his previous test results showed he was clean.

She posed nude, showing her "new" breasts, which she claimed was a gift from Alistair when they were together. They didn't bother covering up her nipples-the budding actress probably enjoyed the attention.

"Alistair is a sex addict who invited other women to share our bed," Rebecca said in the article. "Ménage à trois became a regular activity for us. He's not capable of love and will only break hearts. I hear he's dating a lawyer. Whoever you are, stay away from him because he will tear you apart."

"Alistair, this is a joke," I scoffed. "You can't take this bullshit seriously. Honestly."

"Your girlfriend is right," a cold voice confirmed. Bianca Cavalli walked into the office, smelling like sweet temptation with her high heels, flowing locks of ebony hair, and a tight dress.

"Bianca, thanks for coming at short notice. I hope I didn't ruin any plans you may have had this evening." Alistair greeted his former lover with a light kiss on her cheek.

"Vera, please sit next to me," Bianca commanded, taking a seat on a leather sofa. I sat down, mirroring Bianca, and clasped my hands.

"You've heard of Lester Harbor Daily and the biweekly Lester Harbor City News, I'm sure," she said.

I nodded in awe of the cold-as-ice queen bee. I admired Bianca's cream dress, which contrasted beautifully with her smooth chocolate skin.

"I haven't properly introduced myself. My full name is Bianca Cavalli. The Cavalli Media Group owns both the Daily and City News."

"What does this have to do with me?" I asked.

"Everything," Alistair said. He stood by the forty-fifth-floor window and stared at the city lights under the night sky. He and I worked in the same building and met up in the evening so he could drive me home. That was if he was in town and not on a business trip.

"Alistair tells me that he's invested in you," Bianca continued.

"Are you two planning my life already?" I questioned, raising one eyebrow.

"No, but we're doing what we can to protect you," the media magnate affirmed. "There's a smear campaign against both of you. Someone with money and influence is paying the media and feeding them with sources to speak against Alistair and you."