23 The invisible bond

Song for the mood: Love Again by Dua Lipa. A snippet of the lyrics:

Never have I ever met somebody like you
Used to be afraid of love and what it might do
But goddamn, you got me in love again

Vera

Sunday, November 13

I wasn't the only one who worked on Sunday afternoons. A few of my colleagues-including my boss-were in the office, dressed casually instead of their usual business attire. Just as I was about to review documents that needed signing, I heard a familiar baritone voice call out my name.

"Vera."

There he was, drawing one foot back and forth in an imaginary line, while his hands remained in his jeans pockets. His gray T-shirt emphasized his toned physique and contrasted well against his bright eyes. He wore his signature Rolex. The tight ache in my heart plummeted to my stomach, releasing an intense craving for the man whose hair, lightened from the long summer gone, now showed glints of gold.

I placed my pen down on my desk and straightened my back. "Mister Scott, is there anything I can do for you? I believe Brenton is in his office if you need to see him."

"It's good to see you," Alistair said. He moved toward me like a panther prowling in the jungle, hunting for prey.

"No," I answered. I shook my head and folded my arms. "Not now."

"I need to talk to you, sweetheart."

Triggered by that word, I immediately stood up and started marching toward the door.

"Where are you going?" Alistair asked, grabbing my hand. I shook it off as if it were poison.

Distancing myself from Alistair's nearness, I placed my hands on my hips and sighed. "I need to get some air."

"Would you like to grab some coffee together?"

"No."

"Why not? It'll just be coffee."

"Why not? Hmm, let me think." I paused, then released a breath of hot air.

"You played me. Firstly, I'm not a rich man's plaything who can be toyed with. Secondly, your crazy girlfriend-oh, sister-in-law or whatever she is to you-came to my home and threatened me."

"I had no idea she would pull something like that-"

"Thirdly, you and Erin are expecting a baby. When's the baby due?"

"In December. She and Oliver are expecting the child because I signed away my rights."

"You shy away from responsibility!" I pointed my index finger at his chest.

"Oliver has Klinefelter syndrome."

"What?"

"It's a chromosomal disorder," he answered. "It causes abnormal development of the male reproductive organs. In other words, Oliver is infertile."

"Oh," I whispered, barely moving my lips. It now made sense why Oliver was willing to take the child as his own. He wanted an heir, and Erin's infidelity with Alistair was a golden opportunity. I bet Erin knew the night she conceived. Smart move, Oliver and Erin. "Thank you for the explanation, Mister Scott. Now, if you don't mind, I don't need the drama that comes with you."

"Vera, please! Call me Alistair."

"I don't address strangers by their first names," I retorted, still pissed at the man. My feelings were off-key, and emotions could quickly become irrational in love and war.